I am currently looking into purchasing a home that has a leaking furnace and some mold in the basement because of a power outage causing a water packup after a sump pump failure and subsequent backup. Most of the drywall with the mold was removed but there is still a little left (that I can see -- who know how much I can't). My original plan was to gut the basement, treat any and every surface down with an antifungal wash, and let it dry out with a dehumidifier for a few months. After that was completed, I would replace the furnace and have the ducts cleaned. However, the FHA is requiring that I replace the missing drywall and furnace before they sign off in it.

I'm a bit unsure as to whether or not its a good idea to cover up the mold only to expose it after the FHA clears it and have it circulating thru the new furnace and clean ducts when I start tearing it down.

Is this safe? Will the air filter on the furnace stop the mold from being spread thru the house and ducts once replaced? Should I walk away from the deal?

Thanks in advance