Sorry to have neglected this topic. Love all the great comments guys.

This was an actual install that I recently had to do. The limitation on the tools were for figuring out the 3-dimensional characteristics of the opening. It's all I had with me to work with. As for setting the door, I had a full compliment of implements of destruction - with the exception of a chisel.

The hardest part was figuring out a point of reference to transfer the shape of the old door/opening to the new slab. The old slab looked like it had been hewn by buck-toothed beavers. I started with a plumb-bob in the center of the jamb and taking sequential measurements down both sides. Problem is, I had no way to track a center point on the new slab to transfer the measurements.

After a number of different efforts I came to lining up the center-lines of the old and new slabs and tracing the old slab. The old slab had good reveals around it's perimeter and the jamb, and this was the easiest way to go about the shape.

The hinges were the old square style and as I said, I managed to get out of the shop without a chisel, but thankfully it was easy enough to remove what the router couldn't with a utility knife. As is to be expected in a situation such as this, there was a slight bit of binding, but it wasn't too bad. Once hung in the opening, the reveals were very close to the original door.

As for tearing out the jamb and replacing it with a plumb/square one, well, that wasn't going to happen. This door had windows framed tight up against the jambs on each side, There were no shims on either side, just the jamb tight against the framing. What they'd like to do is push the wall out about 5 feet, they just don't have the funds to tackle such a project. House is stucco exterior and plaster interior with coved ceilings inside. If they do this, then the door will probably be replaced with a french door, at the very least it will be replaced by one that is not hour glass shaped!

It only took 5-1/2 hours to complete the project ... Every time I do a project, no matter what it is, I sure miss my work truck that was fully stocked and laden with tools and supplies for nearly any eventuality. Retirement has it's benefits, this ain't one of them! LOL