+ Reply to Thread

Question lighting upgrade -- suggestions please

i just inherited a house and would like to update the kitchen lights. current lighting is fluorescent tubes on left and right walls 4 4ft tubes down each wall and and dual 2ft tubes over island counter. Left, right and center each have a switch. House built in the 70's. Lights are concealed in 6in space above cabinets where you only see lights if you look straight up.

|-------|
    |...()...| <-- decorative whatever ya call it
    |.. /\.. |
    |.. /|\...
    |... \----- light tube (arrow goes over and up, () is the light)
    |
    |<-- wall
    |

what would be best for lighting. bright light, low power use, and would fit in the space? or should i just update to newer fluorescent tubes?

Default Re: lighting upgrade -- suggestions please

Kinda confusing.. but are you talking undercabnet lighting?? if so id stick with what you have unless you wanna spend money.. then skys the limit.

Default Re: lighting upgrade -- suggestions please

I think this may mean a soffit over a cabinet or simply a light concealed by trim. Regardless, a good replacement may be LED strip or puck lighting. Very low profile, high light output and low on electricity. LED lights may be a little more expensive although usually not by much but it usually produces better quality lighting than fluorescent in my opinion.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content