+ Reply to Thread

Smile Installing stone wool insulation

We had a hard time finding any insulation to fit between our 26"-on-center joists in a back room ceiling. So, we bought 23" wide stone wool batts. We're trying to determine what is the best way to hold the narrower-than-the-space batts. Right now we're looking at cutting and installing multiple short pieces behind the vapor barrier rather than two long ones. The metal pins that we bought aren't long enough. Is there another way to secure the batts in the wide space?
    Last edited by wfreels123; 11-15-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: clarify
    Ed and Wendy

Default Re: Installing stone wool insulation

first off why are the joists 26" o.c the should be either 16", 19 3/16" or 24"

also are you trying to sound and fire proof this space or for r-value
    fire up the saw and make some dust

"This old house" is 165 years old, hence the wider joists. And the joists themselves? Almost 3 inches wide. We're doing this for warmth....
    Ed and Wendy

We use rolls of netting to hold the stuff in these wide bays. It gets stapled up as you go. Takes more than 2 hands.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

One could install 1by 3 or 4 nailers perpendicular to the joists 16" on center and these would hold up the rock wool insulation.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

oppsee forgot to mention you could blow in cellulose after installing the ceiling if there is acess above the ceiling. It costs less then rock wool and has similar insulation and fire retarding capabilities.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.