+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new stove

Default Need new stove

When heating up the oven, the coil went "zap" and a small fire started inside the oven. Although the stove top works well, the thing is nearing 20 years and I think it's time to get a new one. I do have some questions.

The house came with the electric stove we are using, but I love gas. The gas furnace is directly under the kitchen. How hard would it be to get someone to run a pipe up through the floor for the stove?

What are some of the things to look for when searching for a new oven weather it is gas or electric. Will be going shopping in the next couple of days and want to do some research before I hit the stores and the salesmen.

Default Re: Need new stove

Extending gas lines is a job for a licensed plumber. After the job is complete, the line has to pass a pressure test. It also involves cutting drywalls.

Purchasing a new range is just like buying any other major appliance. If you want a real good deal, wait for January.

I would recommend deciding on all the features you want/need, then look for brands that have those things. Look for reviews on line of the brands you're interested in, search for repair records to make sure you're not getting a lemon.

I'm not a fan of gas because I've yet to find a gas appliance that has good flame control or a flame that can go low enough to simmer a pot without boiling or blowing out.

An issue we've had with our "top of the line" Kenmore is that the electronic controls are directly above the oven vent, basically putting a computer in the hottest location on the appliance, which has fried twice in 10 years. That may not seem like a big deal, but like the oven fire you experienced, once is too many times, particularly when you've paid top dollar for an appliance.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 11-16-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Frick'n word censor!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I replaced my electric stove with a gas one a number of years ago. My gas furnace is under the kitchen, so piping to the stove was relatively easy. No drywall work was needed since the pipe came up through the floor. When I converted to gas years before, I had a tee put in the gas line for a future stove. I assume you will have to do that to get a gas line to the stove. Also a 120v line is needed to replace the 240v line for the electric stove.
    I have never regretted converting to gas. I find it preferable to electic, even if getting a flame low enough with a small pot at times is a challange. I just wish I had room for a six burner stove.

Capellam44:

The electric oven element is a simple replacement project easily done by a DIYr if you want to take this route: local "Electric Supply" houses (Yellow Pages) carry the replacement for $15----turn off the range power by PULLING THE MAIN PLUG in the back of the unit ---unscrew the old one out, screw the new one in; to avoid a messy oven, line the floor of the oven with a double or triple folded layer of heavy duty aluminum foil.

Otherwise, go to your local library (call first, many now have shortened hours) and ask for back issues of the monthly Consumer Reports (Dec. 2011, Nov. 2011, July 2011, Aug 2010); also ask for the latest annual CR Buyer's Guides (pocket book form); check the Index in the back of each magazine issue or pocket book under "Ranges" ---make a xerox copy of the charts & you're good to go.

These publications have a plethora of excellent reviews on both Gas & Electric ranges, along with "Frequency of Repair" charts; there is also detailed discussion of the many different types of gas & elec ranges with price ranges from $600 to $6,000.

Some of the best rated units with their model # & retail price, both gas & elec. are below; GE, Kenmore and Hotpoint rule the ratings in gas; while GE, & Hotpoint rule the roost in elec ranges.

Gas Ranges: LG (LRG3091s/w) ($800), Kenmore 7138/9 ($750), Kenmore 7744/9 ($600), Kenmore Elite (7753/9) ($1600), GE Profile (PGB910 SEM/SS) ($1600), LG (LRG3095/ST) ($1400).

Electric Ranges: GE (coil top burner) (JBP35SM/SS) ($650), GE Smoothtop (JB700DN/WW) ($750).

This list is just a sampling---there are scores of different types & styles of gas & elec ranges in the various CR reports.

According to CR Hotpoint & GE generally have the best frequency of repair records, while Maytag & Kitchenaid have the worst; because LG ranges still have a limited share of the market, their Frequency of Repair record is not listed.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-16-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Per dobbs suggestion, replacing an element is fairly easy and cheap. It would give you time to research & get the work priced out. The install shouldn't take more than a day.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Per dobbs suggestion, replacing an element is fairly easy and cheap. It would give you time to research & get the work priced out. The install shouldn't take more than a day.
    The install of a heating element shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, in fact.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I meant the installation of the gas & stove, not the element

I think the most important advice comes from professional chefs and that is if you want gas go with a gas stove but have an electric oven as electric ovens tend to heat better and more evenly than gas ones.
    Also check with people who repair appliances but don't sell appliances in your area and give them some names of different brands. Some brands appliance repairmen don't want to repair at all as the parts are just too hard to get. So if you have one independant appliance repair person you deal with all of the time or know of someone who does give them a call. In buying appliances it is better to buy American than to go with a foreign brand no matter how well they might be rated as many times it takes forever to get parts and the parts are more expensive too. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Capellam44 View Post
    When heating up the oven, the coil went "zap" and a small fire started inside the oven. Although the stove top works well, the thing is nearing 20 years and I think it's time to get a new one. I do have some questions.

The house came with the electric stove we are using, but I love gas. The gas furnace is directly under the kitchen. How hard would it be to get someone to run a pipe up through the floor for the stove?

What are some of the things to look for when searching for a new oven weather it is gas or electric. Will be going shopping in the next couple of days and want to do some research before I hit the stores and the salesmen.
    It shouldn't be hard to get a professional to run the line up. However there will be a need to evaluate the incoming feed from the meter to see if it's large enough to supply total BTU's of the furnace , the water heater ( if it's gas fired ) and a gas stove. You may need the feed piping replaced from the meter into the home based on the total BTU's of all gas appliances.
    Also there will need to be a manifold installed.
    Bottom line it won't be cheap.
    It cost my brother to switch from an electric stove to have a gas supply run for a gas stove $1000 -- plus the cost of the gas stove.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush