+ Reply to Thread

Default Living room ceiling

My house is an 110 years old frame two story building. There is an annoying clicking sound that emits from the living room and dining room ceiling. The sounds comes and goes without warning. It last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. Sometimes the clicking starts slow and then it speeds up. Other times it remains slow. The clicking does not occur daily but has occurred more often since the summer. The clicking also occurs during idffernt times of the day morning, evening and overnight.

Default Re: Living room ceiling

It is likely normal expansion and contraction of the structure. Over time, fasteners loosen and the squeak occurs as the materials expand/contract on the loose fastener.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

yah. what he said. wood moves with variation of the humidity. its prob wood rubbing on wood and fasteners. this is normal for a old house. nothing to worry about
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Things like this happen in new homes too, let alone 110 year old homes. I wouldn't worry about it.

thank you is there anything i can do to stop the noise? It very irritating

Ear plugs, turn up the tv, sleep in the garage ...

If you were to do a bare stud remodel where you have access to the framing members, you can add construction adhesive and tighten fasteners, add more fasteners and/or bracing, etc. Without something of this magnitude, there is little that can be done.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Are there any water lines in that ceiling? Is there water running at the time you hear the clicking? Ive had that sound and it was the water lines, even if from the toilet refilling.