+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Home Center Project: What would YOU build with Tom Silva?

I'd like Tom's help to build a new home for my mother in law. She doesn't seem to like the modern lifestyle of our home, so we could chop down some of the local trees to hew a log cabin that looks like its from the 1600's, making it as authentic as possible. The remote and rugged location may make it difficult for the camera crew but once they radio in a bush pilot to return them to decent cell service I'm sure they'd be OK.

Perhaps we could get a few fellow husbands who share the same wish for their Mothers-in-law, all getting together and building a multi-room cabin to house every single one of them.

Smile Re: Home Center Project: What would YOU build with Tom Silva?

It would be cool to convert an old buffet into a bathroom vanity. We could remove the legs and make it floating. We could get a custom granite top made for it. It would be a one-of-a-kind beauty!

Smile Re: Home Center Project: What would YOU build with Tom Silva?

Just moved into a home that has deep alcoves (24" deep/39" wide) on each side of a big fireplace with a white wood frame. I'd love to work with Tom Silva to design built-in shelving in the alcoves. Mind running wild...arches at the top (?); triangular shelves to fill the deep corners (?); lighting (?); and then the tile fireplace surround and floor hearth are just plain (ugly) tan 12-inch tiles . I'd love to do something really spectacular there, maybe some metal and glass tiles. I'm a grandma and, although really handy with many tools, am not able to take this on myself. (keeping a positive thought!!!) Thanks for this opportunity.
    Last edited by Arkrider; 12-26-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added measurement info

Default What would YOU build with Tom Silva - A carport!

I would love to build a carport to store my classic car. It is currently under a tent and not well protected.

Most of our first floor is solid 3/4" red oak on top of a wooden sub-floor (over crawl-space). Unfortunately, our living room and dining room are an awful blue carpet that was part of the house when we bought it.

I would love to be able to do one of two things (obviously after pulling out the carpet!):
    1: Match up the wood and refinish it all (if needed) to make it look like it's always been all wood. There are two areas that meet carpet to wood (one from kitchen and one from foyer).
    2: Put in a contrasting flooring in the living and dining rooms (or possibly some inlays of dark wood).

Either way, we want that carpet gone and Tom's the right man to help me out!

I have a home center storage shed. It's about 16' X 16' It's a mess. It's full of junk that is left over from my home remodel. I really want to turn it into an artist studio! I'd like to put in two skylights and some french doors to let in more light. Also, it needs to have some area set aside for bike storage and Christmas decorations. I'd also like to bring electricity to it. It's in Folly Beach, SC near Charleston. Do you think Tom might be interested?

My husband and I just purchased a semi-renovated farm house that was built in 1903. We love the upgrades added by the previous owners, but there are a few projects we're eager to take on ourselves to truly make the house "our own." My husband and I love New England summer, and spend all the time we can at our local beach. We have always wanted an outdoor shower to rinse off in after coming home covered in salt and sand- and now with a one year old it is starting to feel like a necessity. We have a large amount of rough cut granite rock that we were hoping to use for a wall around our property. We bought it before we purchased our home and anticipated needing more than we actually do. We'd like to build an outdoor shower that somehow incorporates our extra material. Though we consider ourselves to be handy (my husband especially), we think we could use a hand from an expert on this one, and we would love the opportunity learn from Tom! Thanks for your consideration!

For years I have wanted to open a space in the wall from our den to our living room which is approximately 6 to 8 inches lower than the den floor.We have never used the formal living room other han for storage.It is quite long and would provide much more living space.

For years I have wanted to open a space in the wall from our den to our living room which is approximately 6 to 8 inches lower than the den floor.We have never used the formal living room other han for storage.It is quite long and would provide much more living space.I am disabled now with a hip,knee replacement and two heart attacks.

Our dream, of course, would be to have our entire house renovated by the This Old House crew, but I digress. Our home is a 1904 ummm…shall we call it “Good Year Home”? Over the past century+, when it must have been a good year fiancially to do so, each of the previous few owners have made additions or changes that were clearly all done by do-it-yourselfers on DIY budgets. I am pretty sure there is not a true right angle anywhere in the house. It is a great old house though, and we love the high ceilings and wide baseboards on the main level and the gabled roof on the second level. What we really struggle with is the side entrance which leads both to the basement and the kitchen. Apparently, it used to lead only the basement? Not quite sure…but definitely was reconstructed. Uneven stairs to the left lead to the kitchen, and roughly made stairs straight ahead lead to the basement. The problem is, when you open the door which is at ground level, you have to immediately step up 12 inches to enter the house…which means if you are taller than 5’ 7” (and you haven’t already tripped and tumbled down into the basement) you have to duck to keep from hitting your head. Honestly…I have photos! We would love Tom Silva to come help us figure out how to make this a REAL entrance that you walk into at ground level and still be able to walk up into the kitchen and down to the basement. Please…help! Our Good Year home is crying out for Tom…