+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Home Solutions: 10 Uses for...

Your clever uses for an everyday item could bring you glory in our upcoming reader-created issue.

Check out past 10 Uses features at thisoldhouse.com

Default Re: Home Solutions: 10 Uses for...

I use both plastic and metal window screening in different ways around the house. I use both types of screen to scrub paint off my hands and paint buckets. The metal screen takes off even oil based paints easily but the plastic screen is easier on your skin. I also line the bottoms of flower pots with screen to keep the soil from washing out through the drain holes. Two or three layers of screen make a good sieve for removing paint chips from old paints. I cut small pieces of screen and use them to cover the drain in my utility sink.
    Can anyone think of five more uses?

Quote Originally Posted by bspiwacky View Post
    I use both plastic and metal window screening in different ways around the house. I use both types of screen to scrub paint off my hands and paint buckets. The metal screen takes off even oil based paints easily but the plastic screen is easier on your skin. I also line the bottoms of flower pots with screen to keep the soil from washing out through the drain holes. Two or three layers of screen make a good sieve for removing paint chips from old paints. I cut small pieces of screen and use them to cover the drain in my utility sink.
    Here's one I've used for years. Strips of old screen stuffed into pipe entries and holes in the foundation keep critters out while allowing ventilation. Think like a roach and stuff crumpled screen into narrow places where roaches and bugs like to hide.
    Last edited by Chief; 03-10-2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Can't spell.

Quote Originally Posted by bspiwacky View Post
    I have used a old door screen for in the garden for removing rocks from the dirt cut a old screen door in half and place it on some saw horses and pile dirt on it and run the pile over the screen and the dirt falls thou and the rock stays then you can pick the small ones out and you have no more rocks in your garden
    Last edited by fix-it-guy82; 03-11-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: misspelled words

I take the labels off of wine bottles and I use them, bottom side up, as edging around my garden. I also use them to keep my hose off of my hostas when I'm watering the back of my lawn.

We needed to have bars installed in the roll-in shower and grab bars in various spots throughout the house. I wasn't excited about the "hospital" look of the metal railings, so we have placed teak boat railings and grab bars around the house. They fit into the decor and hold up well even in the shower. They are also less expensive than the ADA-type of shower railings.We do occasionally oil them as you would do for any teak.

As a graphic designer I tend to collect used CD disks and many offers are sent to me on them. Years a go I decided to not throw them out but to use them.

I string them with fish line and hang around the garden to discourage pests especially the deer.Also they make great additions to wind chimes.

I hand them from the rafters of the house barn to discourage woodpeckers.

I hot glue on round pieces of cork to make decorative and shiny coasters for my coffee cups and party drinks.

Nailed into trees along my driveway they reflect lights to mark the winding way.