+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bifold Doors

Default Bifold Doors

Hi! My husband and I are newbies at pretty much all of this handyman/DIY stuff. We are trying to finish a bedroom. We want to put in a set of bifold closet doors. We measured the opening pre-trim, and it is 34 1/2" wide. The door widths we have seen are 24, 30, 32 and 36. If I am understanding right, we will have to buy solid-core 36" and shave some off? Or will the 32" be OK once the trim is all on? Please help!!!

Default Re: Bifold Doors

Cutting off 1.5" is a lot of meat to remove from bifolds. Get the smaller set and build up the door jambs to match.

34 inch bifolds are available but are hard to find,, especially in my region. reguler 34" doors are hard to find..

this time last year i built two homes frame to finish which the drawings were done by the same architect... both custom homes.. he spec'd 34" doors almost everywhere, we framed for them but had a hell of a time finding them when it was trim time. we ended up having to special order them as we needed 20 of them
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I would do exactly as Houston says. Get the 32" wide set. I hope your opening is square and the bifold doors fit in nicely.

Thank you! I think I will go with getting the 32" and bulding-up the jams. Hopefully it will all work out!

You said the opening is 34-1/2" wide. The jambs will be 3/4" thick -- on both sides. This leaves 33". There will be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2" gap between the studs on each side and the jamb due to shimming, narrowing it down to about 32-1/4", so 32" will be just the perfect size.

Look for YouTube videos on door hanging. There's bound to be one out there somewhere.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.