+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Rotted floor joists - no crawl space

When we attempted to replace subflooring over a weak spot in a hallway, we discovered the floor joists underneath were actually the source of weakness. They appear to be the original joists from when the house was built in the 50's, and the ones we can see are almost completely rotted. We're unsure of the reason for the rot.

The trick is that this is on a slab with only about 10 inches between the joists and the slab, with no way to get under it. Is our only option to tear up everything from above and replace the joists? Is there any way to know if other joists have the same problem, without cutting a bunch of holes in the the subfloor?

Any advice or assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Wink Re: Rotted floor joists - no crawl space

You might be able to find a contractor that has the flexible camera setup. It is designed to see between walls and under floors, such as your situation. I would take the time trying to find a contractor with this camera before I would cut any holes. You might want to consider one of these cameras for yourself. I think they are between $200.00 and $500.00 and you could just drill random holes in the floor and see what is under that section. When you are done you plug the holes. Hope this helps.

Calcats

Default Re: Rotted floor joists - no crawl space

Howdy, how many sqft of rotten floor joists? Is the hall in the center of the home or along an outside wall- i ask as if in center of the joist span then repairs will be more extensive. How many joists involved? Are you looking at insect damage or rott? Have you had any pest people out to tell you if it is ant or termite damage? Any foundation vents in the area?

If a small area on a couple of joists then you could remove the subfloor of the hall and sister the rotten joists with new treated lumber extending the new wood past the rott and using good subfloor adhesive & bolts or nails or screws attach the cripple joists to the solid wood of the rotten joists.

Thumbs up Re: Rotted floor joists - no crawl space

***! Thank you so much for the quick responses!

I've just had a contractor in and he was able to see and feel far enough to tell that the rot only went about 3 square feet. It was definitely water damage. It is in an area that opens to a newer addition where we believe it used to be an outside door. The assumption is that either when it was a doorway and/or porch there was a leak or possibly when the addition was put on there was rain before the roof went on and it wasn't properly covered.

Thanks again for the responses!