+ Reply to Thread

Default Loud Noise from heating pipes

MY 1970s New England colonial has oil-fired hot water baseboard based heating.For the last couple of years,I hear steam engine type of noise which starts with a lund banging from the heating pipes. This usually happens when the heating system starts and/or stops. Couple of plumbers looked into it but they could not figure it out. My pipes are properly secured - not too loose and not too tight.My plumber drained the pipes couple of times but it did not help.
    I I will really appreciate any suggestions to fix this nagging problem.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Loud Noise from heating pipes

Copper pipe expands when heated. Check that the lines a free to move were the go through any hole in your flooring or framing.

John

Two of the most common banging and noise problems are pipes being too tight against floor joists, and air. Air is commonly overlooked, but I would consider that factor. Every hydronic systems has an needs and expansion tank and air scoop. The expansion tank is usually a grey, green, red, or blue enameled bladder tank that hangs from the boiler pipes, should you need to find it. you may already know all about it. it absorbs thermal expansion from the boiler system. If your system has no expansion tank, you should install one ASAP. the tank's usually attached to an air scoop, which literally takes air out of the system via an air valve. These play important roles in noise reduction, pipe movement, and general safety. I would look into it.

I would think if see didn't have a expansion tank see would be seeking advise about the relief valve dumping water. No closed system could operate with out one.

John