+ Reply to Thread

Thread: aluminum wiring

Unhappy aluminum wiring

wanted to replace an old bathroom light fixture had bulb and an external plug in receptacle hpuse has aluminum wiring went to disconnect old fixture and when checking how wires were run noticed that there was only one pair of wires not connected by color together. had three sets of wires coming into the receptacle box all were connected white -white , black to black ecept one set was white to black made the mistake of not marking them. hooked up new light and can have the bathroom switch works but the switch on the outside which is a hall light does not. have tried several combinations and haven't got the right ones yet. Can't afford to call an electrician can someone tell me how to find the right black and white wire out of the set of 3. was told there is a white/black exception whenhooking up aluminum wiring.

Default Re: aluminum wiring

Determining which wires to connect your light to is fairly easy compared to working with alluminum wire.

It requires special connectors and skills. If you explain what you just posted to an electrician over the phone they will either say no special connectors are required or take the problem seriously.

They will come with the right equipment and could do the job in half and hour...and keep you from having a house fire.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

I believe the "white black exception" you are referring to is the use of a white wire as a hot in a switch loop, it is not limited to aluminum wiring. Did you check the fixture you bought to make sure it was AL/CU rated? Did you use an anti oxidant? When dealing with aluminum wiring it is always best to have someone that knows what they are doing or you could end up burning down your house. I believe you are over your head, please call a professional.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Next time, label the wires before disconncting them.

But right now, to mitigate your damages, do the right thing and call an electrician.

Here in Florida I just purchased an older home for investment. Much to my surprise I was told that insurance companies would no longer insure homes with aluminum wire. Made a quick check on the one I was looking at but it did have copper wire.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Here in Florida I just purchased an older home for investment. Much to my surprise I was told that insurance companies would no longer insure homes with aluminum wire. Made a quick check on the one I was looking at but it did have copper wire.

John
    John, Insurance companies refuse to insure homes with aluminum wires because of the danger of random fires. To get coverage, homeowners must replace their wiring (not cheap).

I was aware of the dangers with aluminum wire I just wasn't aware you couldn't insure them.

John

I was aware of the dangers with aluminum wire I just wasn't aware you couldn't insure them.

John
    There is little danger with aluminum wiring, the problem is people working on them that don't know what they are doing.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    There is little danger with aluminum wiring, the problem is people working on them that don't know what they are doing.

Jack
    I'm sure that's true Jack but the problem remains you can't get insurance on homes in my area that have it and if you can't get insurance no bank will finance them. There was even one case were a insurance company said the would insure it if they changed all the outlets and switches. I don't know the reason maybe do. But in any case after doing what they requested at the expense of the owner they still refused to insure it. (I see lawsuit on that one)

John

I'm sure that's true Jack but the problem remains you can't get insurance on homes in my area that have it and if you can't get insurance no bank will finance them. There was even one case were a insurance company said the would insure it if they changed all the outlets and switches. I don't know the reason maybe do. But in any case after doing what they requested at the expense of the owner they still refused to insure it. (I see lawsuit on that one)

John
    Once upon a time may people used CU rated switches and receptacles which is what caused the problems with fires, I know some insurance companies would require inspection and replacement with AL/CU switches and receptacles which seemed to be working for a while. But as properties changed hands and the new people weren't aware of the problems and didn't know to check for AL/CU rating some started to have electrical fires again. Even many licensed electricians don't know or don't follow proper procedures with Aluminum wiring. So that is why they are discontinuing to cover aluminum wired houses in some areas.

Jack