+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior Arts & Crafts trim on windows/doors help

We are in the very initial stages of a whole house renovation. We've just replaced a large 12' double sliding door and I am trimming the interior in the Arts & Crafts style. There are plenty of books available on interior trim and I know exactly what to do.

However for the exterior trim I haven't been able to find a resource for the design of the exterior trim on an Arts & Crafts home? I would not think it is the same as the interior. Maybe similar, but less detailed?

If anyone has any tips, ideas, resources, etc. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Default Re: Exterior Arts & Crafts trim on windows/doors help

its basically teh exact same detail. the only difference is the material you should use. for interior mdf is the standard material used. on the exterior i would be using pine or spend a bit extra and use azec.

the only precaution with using pine would be to pre prime everything on both edges, face and back along with the ends even once you make a cut. this will seal the wood and prevent rot. use a exterior grade primer which has shellac in it so to seal the pitch in the knots of the wood. otherwise the knots will bleed through

as for a trim book, this book is one of the best, its printed by "taunton press" who publishes both finehomebuilding and fine woodworking magazine. all the articles are written by top notch tradesmen. if you have a local "lee valley" or "rockler" woodworking store i would buy it there. as buying it throug a store such as chapters your going to be paying nearly double the price

http://www.tauntonstore.com/trim-com...ow-070911.html
    Last edited by jkirk; 11-13-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

A&C trim on the exterior was at its best when it was worked into the structure, like carved beam and rafter ends, enhanced structural bracing decorated by curving the timbers, things that are tacked on will not convey the same impact. It's hard to separate A&C ornament from architecture.
    The A&C/craftsman designers were initially reacting against all the "tacked on" surface ornamentation of the preceding decades of Victorian excess which they regarded as less "honest"; the ornaments bore no relation to the structure or even function of the house. So you have a difficult task ahead to tack on A&C decor. It flies in the face of the guiding philosophy.
    I'd look at some bungalow style books to get the idea of what things should look like.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    as for a trim book, this book is one of the best, its printed by "taunton press" who publishes both finehomebuilding and fine woodworking magazine. all the articles are written by top notch tradesmen.
    Thanks for the replies. I actually have this very book, among a couple of others and I will agree that this one is the best. Not only does it instruct on -how- to trim out a window or door, but it gives the details of the various styles, including Craftsman and Arts & Crafts.

But, it mentions nothing of exterior trim, hence my question! So you're saying that the same detail on the top of the door/window would apply on the exterior? Seems a bit much, but something I suspected.

I am going to use a solid PVC material on the exterior that has a wood grain finish on one side, smooth on the other. Can't recall the name brand...

While I agree with the Arts & Crafts style being structural, I don't think this applies at all to the trim around a window or door?

Thanks again,

for the exterior use the same detail only difference is that you will need to install a metal cap flashing over the header trim so to keep water out. and instead of dap for caulking use exterior white silicone

Awesome, thanks, will do!

id post some pics but even myself one of the moderators here cant seem to post pictures... the administrators dont seem too concerned about the issue of people unable to post releveant photos

Too bad, that would be very helpful!