+ Reply to Thread

Cool Knob and Tube wiring

Ok everyone who has tackled this mess-what is the best way to replace knob and tube wiring without gutting the house??? Can I expect that there is some under the over 100 year old floor boards?? What should I expect to pay to have an electrician do it?? I've had bids from $2000 to $10,000. The highest bid came from a union electrician who probably didn't want to do it! lol. The lowest bid came from a retired union electrician.

I have uncovered newer wire connected to the knob and tube inside most junction boxes. HELP!!

Default Re: Knob and Tube wiring

Usually the best thing is a complete rewire. $2000 sounds way low, the $10k sounds more likely. Some demolition will be required but it should be minimal.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Usually, when comparing bids, you want to compare apples to apples. Make sure they give the same things and there are no extras.

I wouldn't rule out the union electrician, just ask him precisely what his bid includes. Maybe he just wants to be occupied and doesn't mind giving you a discount...surprisingly, it does happen.

Sometimes replacing K&T is easier than it sounds. I've found runs in un-insulated attics and walls. The walls often don't have any insulation and are 6" thick so romex is easy to fish.

There will always be tough spots and those can just be inspected and put off for the day you remodel.

The Code even allows for this kind of approach and inspectors call it "moving toward compliance".

So, unless the electricians actually look at the situation you may get bids miles apart.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, [URL="http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com"]

I know our house from the late 30's has K&T, but what I'm wondering is if I can simply cut the wires back to the wall and cover them up. Well, at least on some of them I'd love to do that. The previous owners simply put in 3prong outlet beside the initial 2prong and I'm pretty sure that the 2 prong is connected to the K&T.

Quote Originally Posted by lildzel View Post
    I know our house from the late 30's has K&T, but what I'm wondering is if I can simply cut the wires back to the wall and cover them up. Well, at least on some of them I'd love to do that. The previous owners simply put in 3prong outlet beside the initial 2prong and I'm pretty sure that the 2 prong is connected to the K&T.
    Only if the K&T has been decommissioned. You can't do it if it is still live.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Tell us more about the construction of your home.

Is it pier and beam? Slab? Single or multiple story?

For example; if your house is pier and beam and one story, then it can be wired from underneath for the outlets and from the attic for the lighting and switches.

Here's another thing; if the old-time electricians removed floor boards to run the ceiling wiring, retrace their work, and pull those floorboards; they come out pretty easily, and you can use their bore holes to run new wire. It's what I've done several times, and it sure beats tearing out new floorboard/chase routes.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.