+ Reply to Thread

Default Black Water in Water Softener

I recently moved into a rental house. When I looked inside the water softener container, there was about 6" of black water in the bottom. There was also some smaller granular softener salt in the container. I emptied it out and put in 'Diamond Crystal Red-Out Pellets'. Any idea what may have caused the black water build-up? Is there a particular softener salt I should use? Thanks.

Default Re: Black Water in Water Softener

Quote Originally Posted by muel0312 View Post
    I recently moved into a rental house. When I looked inside the water softener container, there was about 6" of black water in the bottom. There was also some smaller granular softener salt in the container. I emptied it out and put in 'Diamond Crystal Red-Out Pellets'. Any idea what may have caused the black water build-up? Is there a particular softener salt I should use? Thanks.
    I cannot give you answer on "black water" but I can give you answer on type of water softener.

You need to test your water "PH factor" before adding anything.

Some are takes special salt and others takes different kind of softener such as crush limestone.
    Adding incorrect type of softener can be hazardous to your health and / or plumbing system.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Default Re: Black Water in Water Softener

My guess is what you had was dirty water in the salt tub. A lot of the softener salts contain dirt and if the tub is not cleaned out periodically the tub can get pretty nasty.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb