+ Reply to Thread

Question Interior sewer line renovation

I recently removed sheetrock from a bearing wall containing all of the laundry room and upstairs bathroom plumbing to diagnose a drain leak. The upstairs toilet drains through a 1 1/2" ABS drain line.There is a 5 1/2' vertical drop followed by a 1 1/2' horizontal leg,w/ 2 elbows, through the 2" X 6" stud. It then drops 2' through 2" ABS drain line, joined by the 2" washer machine drain line, before a trap followed by 1 1/2' of horizontal 2" drain line. Just above the slab, this joins the 3" vent pipe which connects inside the slab to the underground drain line. This is all schedule 40 pipe.
    I need to fix a leak at the junction in the slab and want to get the entire drain plumbed correctly at the same time. This is all inside a bearing wall in a 30 year old house. The upstairs toilet has never really drained properly; now I know why.
    Should the main line from the toilet be replaced with 2" given that the underground link appears to be 3" or should I use 3" for the horizontal sections? If I need larger drain pipe, can it still pass through the studs without compromising wall strength in this 2 story house?
    Last edited by RobinsHouse; 11-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Default Re: Interior sewer line renovation

The waste line for the toilet needs to be 3". A picture would help. It sounds like you have numerous problems. Anyone that ran a 1-1/2" line for a toilet had no idea what they were do1ng. I sure would like to see how they set the toilet on such a small line.

John

This is pretty astonishing, I don't know what the 'plumber' was thinking.

If you have the drywall out, please take pictures like John suggests. We all want to see them.

Unhappy Re: Interior sewer line renovation

Thank you for your replies. I finally located my camera charger and was able to take pictures, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach them. The attachment manager keeps telling me that they are not valid image files. They are jpg images. I'll create a pdf file and see if that will work.

This house was probably owner built w/o a loan in an area where only banks enforce building codes. At that time, nearly all houses in this area were built that way. Obviously, the original owner did things his own way. I just need to figure out how to fix it. I can't really afford to hire a contractor if I can do it myself. I'm pretty handy with tools and have a lot of experience working with pvc and abs pipe in salmon hatcheries, but am unfamiliar with domestic plumbing systems.

This line passes through 3 adjacent 2" X 6" studs in a bearing wall and I'm afraid of cutting 3 1/2" diameter holes in those studs. Is there a technology for reinforcing the studs? Perhaps I should run the line outside the wall?
    Should I have a 3" line dropping 5 vertical feet into a network of 3" horizontal and vertical sections or will that cause other problems? It would create pretty powerful suction on the toilet.
    Last edited by RobinsHouse; 11-13-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: can't get the pictures to attach

Unhappy Re: Interior sewer line renovation

The pdf file won't attach either. It's just not my day.

Email the photo to JLMCDANIEL and he'll post it. Tell him I sent you.