+ Reply to Thread

Default Door Trim OVER Tile?

Hello all,

I am having a problem and I don't know how to fix it. I recently redid my bathroom and put in tile mid-way up the wall, all the way to the door frame. I want to finish the door trim but it is two different heights, one where the tile is and one where it isn't. Do I cut a spacer for above the tile (and the rest of the way around the door) to fill the space or somehow cut out a relief behind the trim so it caps the tile? If I do cut out the backside of the trim, how? Table saw on it's edge? Router?

Thanks all!

Default Re: Door Trim OVER Tile?

There is a special saw for cutting and trimming door casings, it's called Japanese saw, and it resembels a trowel. Available almost everywhere.

the process of removing material from the back of the trim will only work if the trim is fairly thick i.e 5/8" or 3/4. if its thin casing youd be better off furring out the jamb first to the height of the tile then fur hte back of the casing above the tile... its a bit of work but your casing will be full thickness and have some strength left in it

i install a fair amount of trim, mostly in high end homes, with this most of the trim is 3/4" thick. though its heavier. its easier to work with and the profile is exactly the same from one peice to the next. rarely do i use low end thin casing which usually comes from big box stores... this stuff is more of a pain to use especially when you have to start tweaking with things like your situation
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You can either fire up the dry diamond cutoff wheel in your angle grinder and trim the tile back, or get out your router and (trim-thickness permitting) make a recess in the back side of the casing to house the tile. Shimming out the rest of the casing perimeter would work, but be a kluge, as it would be obviously thicker than the rest of the casings in the room/house.
    Always nicer to tile up to the casings with neat cuts, leaving the small gap for grout-color caulk.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    There is a special saw for cutting and trimming door casings, it's called Japanese saw, and it resembels a trowel. Available almost everywhere.
    Can you rent the Japanese saw at Home Depot or Lowes?

its a hand tool, brand new they run $22-40 depending on the store and model.

home depot sells the irwin model which is $26 in canada
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Usually small hand tools are not available for rent at HD, and not all HD locations rent stuff anyway.

I know what the problem is: you will probably never get to use again...so you don't to buy it. But on the other hand it's really not very expensive, and our suggestions are free...

If you have a large hand saw, the kind our grandparents used to use, it can do the job too, except not as good. You have to have a good steady hand for that.