+ Reply to Thread

Default Guidance on old hotel that Harry S. Truman stayed at that might be condemed

Quick facts

Owner is a friend of the family who is closing CPA business due to health.

City is bringing in structural engineer to try to condemn building because it shares a wall with a condemned building.

Harry S. Truman stay there during whistle stop tour.

Margaret Truman came stating her father wrote to her from that Hotel and she took the door number off the room he stayed in. Rumors are the numbers are displayed at the Truman Library.

Located in Salisbury MO

Now the questions
    What are the options for selling materials from the building that are worth money. Grand staircase, tin roof and other things.

Will the fact that there are records (picture) of Truman staying there increase the value?

I know there are companies that sell reclaimed building materials but I don't know what steps that need to be taken to do this the right way.

If it doesn't become condemned It might be up for sale after February but the small town it's in wouldn't bring the money that the wood from the staircase alone should be worth.

Any thoughts, suggestions, offers are welcome.

Default Re: Guidance on old hotel that Harry S. Truman stayed at that might be condemed

The fact that Pres. Truman stayed there probably won't affect salvage prices fro the items you mentioned. Try auctioneers, they can auction off the wood work, fixtures, etc. room by room and will require the buyers to have proper insurance to do the removal. Once the building is stripped it will have little or no value. The lot it sets on will but the price will reflect the cost of demolition.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Guidance on old hotel that Harry S. Truman stayed at that might be condemed

I agree an auction might be best but an auctioneer might not be interested in salvage parts at least not your average auctioneer. I heard of this one place in New Hampshire called Nor'East Architectural Salvage and from what I saw on Ask This Old House and their website they go all over the country buying old antique salvage from buildings. They even have their own crew that they use to remove salvaged flooring. Here is their web address http://www.noreast1.com/. Too bad the hotel can't be saved there is a great deal of history there and so many old buildings have been destroyed. I wish you luck anyway in whatever is done.

Just a question. Is the hotel able to be declared a Historic site? It might be a worthwhile project and could halt the demo process.
    Didn't Dewey beat Truman? (Lol!!)