+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulley System

Question Pulley System

We have a pulley in the attic and one in the basement. (See the one in our attic at the end of the new 2x4 where it meets the truss.) There are no holes in the floors or 'repaired' spots directly above and below them. Any idea what they might have been for? A dumb waiter system for coal, perhaps??? We're stumped.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Pulley System

Was it used for raising/lowering something, then abondoned and had the holes filled?

I once built a 2 story home and in the main entrance I put a large heavy chandalier. For the purpose of lowering the chandalier for service/cleaning, I installed a motorized pully in the attic.

Reminds me of the 'phantom of the opera'.

From the looks of the roof sheeting I'm guessing this is a very old house. It probably was for a dumb waiter. Over the years remodeling may have repaired the floor after it was abandoned and removed.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the comments. I wish there were pictures out there of old systems like this. I'd be interested to see what it might have looked like.
    Ed and Wendy

Here you go

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, JLMCDANIEL. THe picture is great! Now we know what the long metal things are in the basement. We thought they were window weights. Now they might actually be part of the pulley system. Cool!
    Ed and Wendy