+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vibrating water pipes

When I turn OFF any faucet in our ranch style house, either cold or hot, a vibration in the water pipes is induced which tapers off after eleven seconds. The sound appears to come from one end of the basement well away from the water heater. Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: Vibrating water pipes

Just taking a guess here but to me this sounds like a water hammer issue. Common reason are that the public water pressure entering the house may be abnormally high or the pipes may not be secured properly. To handle this you can install water hammer arrestor on the hold and cold lines may solve this for you. Also if you can find where the pipes are vibrating you may be able to secure them to nearby framing.

Thanks for the reply.
    Did you mean hot and cold ref. water hammer arrestor?
    Where would you install on the water lines?

Your suggestion of water pressure problems may be a possibility.

There is a water pressure control/adjuster on the main water line coming into the house between the shut-off faucet and house pipes. I'll have a look at this.

The vibration problem started just after I drained the sprinkler system and disconnected the outside hoses. The sprinkler system is on a different water line and has been drained. This may be by chance.
    However it could be that with people not watering their lawn, the city water pressure could be higher than normal.
    We live in Aurora, Colorado.
    Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

----- Or ----
    You could simply have loose pipes that need to be secured.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Your pressure reducing valve needs to be repaired or replaced. In most cases replacement is the best solution.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 11-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks for the replies.
    I called the City Water Dept. Bill said the water pressure in our area wa at 75 psi at this moment and that they'd received no other complaints similar to mine.
    We went in and reduced the water coming into the house by closing the incoming faucet. With low pressure the vibrating went away. But turning up the supply so that three household faucets could flow reasonably, the vibrations came back.

Canuk ---- some of the plastic pipe retainers are broken. I have replaced four but there are several more that may need replacing in the vicinity of the vibration source but pushing up on the pipes doesn't alleviate the vibrating. Thanks. This still may be the answer.

John - the pressure reduction valve looks OK from the outside - no corrosion and there is no vibration ... but it is 26 years old. Thanks for the suggestion that I will consider.

There are two things that tell me it's the reducing valve.
    1- It is a vibration not a hammer.
    2- It happens when you turn the water on. A water hammer occurs when you turn the water off.

John

Thanks, John.
    The approx. 11 second vibration occurs when any faucet in the house is turned off.

Sorry I missed that in your post. But I'm still betting on the PRV valve being bad.

John

Thanks, John.
    Your suggestion is heeded and much appreciated. Have a good Thanksgiving.