+ Reply to Thread

Default A Flooring Discovery: But Is It Interesting?

I have beautiful 20" tiles for the kitchen but have found under a couple of layers of carpeting, a couple of layers of industrial vinyl tile and some 3/8" plywood is what seems to be a veneer parquet floor. At first I thought it was sheet vinyl or something like that, but now, I can't figure out what it is. Along the edges of the room some of the intricate pieces are separating from each other showing they are individually cut and assembled, but in cross-section, those pieces are very thin, maybe a bit more than 1/16" and are assembled on a sheet backing that is itself only a bit more than an eighth. The colors of the pieces are not just surface. It feels and looks like wood but also could be synthetic of some sort. The backing looks like particle board. The floor might be the original when this addition was added to the house in the early 20ís but am not sure. The questions are: are you familiar with this kind of floor? Is it worth keeping and if so, what is the best way to restore it? Should I go with the tiles?

I can't get the photos to attach, but if you would like to see them, I can send them... but will try to keep posting.

Many thanks!

Default Re: A Flooring Discovery: But Is It Interesting?

You didn't say what your new 20" tiles are made from. I assume this is over wood framing. For ceramic or porcelain, you'll need a joist deflection of no less than L360, and for natural stone no less than L720. At the John Bridge Tile Forum you can find a Deflecto-meter where you can enter the sizes and span of your joists, calculate your deflection, post pictures, learn about subfloor materials, all with speedy responses.

The answers to the questions above may determine what your flooring selection becomes.

Just as with fabrics, you can determine if a material is a natural product or synthetic w/ a match test. Burn a corner of one of the chips, if it leaves a gooey, plasticy dark residue it is some synthetic. If it leaves a soft gray ash, like a cigarette ash, then most likely it is wood not a synthetic product.

Quote Originally Posted by GulfGirl View Post
    Just as with fabrics, you can determine if a material is a natural product or synthetic w/ a match test. Burn a corner of one of the chips, if it leaves a gooey, plasticy dark residue it is some synthetic. If it leaves a soft gray ash, like a cigarette ash, then most likely it is wood not a synthetic product.
    ...But don't burn down the house...oops!

You can post your pictures on a free on-line site like Photobucket and then post the link or e-mail the pictures to me @ jmcdaniel4035@scpwildblue.com and I will post them for you. Put TOH in the subject line and include your TOH user-name.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb