+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bathroom Vent

Default Bathroom Vent

Hello, I'm looking for input on my bathroom vent. It is currently vented into my attic only, has the dryer type of vent hose tied to a rafter with a piece of twine (thank you builder). I'm wanting to add more insulation and realize I need to fix this issue prior to doing that. My question is, someone told me that I can tie this bathroom vent into the vent pipe for the toliet. Basically, I was told to put a "t" on the toliet vent and run the hose over to it. I'm just not sure about this. Wouldn't it let sewer gases come back through the bathroom vent? Just trying to find out if this is a viable option. Thanks!

Default Re: Bathroom Vent

You are correct, it can feed sewer gas back into the vent. You need to install a vent pipe for the bathroom vent.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You are correct, it can feed sewer gas back into the vent. You need to install a vent pipe for the bathroom vent.

Jack
    That's what I thought. Thank you for your reply Jack

The exhast fan should never be connected to the plumbing vent stack.
    As already mentioned , sewer gas will migrate into the bathroom through the fan. Also, you can end up pressurizing the plumbing vent stack pushing the sewer gas back down into the drain lines --- which is not a good thing..
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Agreed, and you should also check with local building codes to see if there are any venting requirements. I assume you will be venting straight through the roof and i also saw someone mention a tip that if you insulate this duct for the vent it can help prevent condensation.

Thanks for the replies! I will be venting it straight through the roof. I've no desire to cause any further problems by tapping into the vent pipe for the plumbing.