+ Reply to Thread

Default covering a chinmey

I have an old chimney that I would like to wrap. What can I use to cover it that is safe and looks like brick. Would some type of siding work?? The chimney runs up the back of my two story house. Please help.

Default Re: covering a chinmey

Maybe I misunderstood it, but siding doesn't look like brick.
    Can you explain what you are trying to achieve?

There are some types of exterior siding that look like brick. I think they may come in sheets. Not your regular strip siding. I just was wondering if some type of siding would be safe. The only thing that is vented thru the chimney now is my hot water tank. So whata think??? Would some type of siding be safe or do you have some other ideas for covering the chimney. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!!

is the current chimney framed with wood, covered with siding and a vent pipe running up inside?

Generally, any sheet metal (metal siding that looks like brick included) would be OK. I guess you want to cut it to size and wrap the chimney with the pieces.

However, what I don't like is the fact that you have your Water Heater vent thru the chimney.

The house was built in 1918 and the chimney is brick. I'm not sure of any wood framing because all I can see from the back of my house is the ugly red bricks. Some of the mortar is beginning to crack and I was getting some water leaking in on my ceiling. I had the flashing replaced around the chimney just last month. My hot water tank is gas and that is the only thing vented thru the chimney. I really don't want to take the chimney down I would just like to cover it, for cosmetic purposes.

Repointing the brick is what is usually done to rehabilitate an old brick chimney. Water may be getting into the chimney through the mortar joints. No doubt repointing would cost more than a quick covering of siding, but is more likely to keep the integrity of an old house. Also a good time to inspect the top of the chimney and repair if needed and add a cap if there isn't one.