+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower valve, low flow

I installed an American Standard tub/shower valve about 5 years ago. My wife has hated it since day 1 because it has such a low flow. Takes forever to fill up the tub and the shower head flow is very low. I called AS and got a new replacement cartridge, no improvement. The second bath that backs up this one has a "no name" shower valve and so much pressure and flow it will peel your skin off and fills the tub in no time.

Any suggestions or do I just replace the whole thing with another brand and hope for the best. Supply lines are 1/2 copper.

Default Re: Shower valve, low flow

Some shower faucets come with shut off screws (one for hot and one for cold). If you have them, your shut off screws may not be fully open.

Remove the front cover plate and look inside. Locate the two screws (directly on the supply lines, then turn counterclockwise. See if this improves the water flow.

If not, write back.

If yes, write back.

No valves or screws on this model. Supply lines go directly into the valve body. I have dissassembled the valve body as far as I can and can't find any obvious obstructions. I installed the new cartridge that AS sent with no improvement. I do compliment AS on their customer service and for overnight shipping a cartridge, but still very dissappointing flow from this model. I am ready to cut it out and try another brand, any suggestions?

You know, I usually don't believe in spending money trying to fix relatively inexpensive items, therefore, if I were you I would change the body. Knowledge in soldering and a pair of good hands can take care of the labor. Just keep in mind that the new faucets are pressure balanced, so read and follow the instructions carefully.