+ Reply to Thread

Default Bad smell in the bath room

Hi,

I am noticing a bad smell in one of my bath room. It is very light during the day time. I feel that the bad smell is getting built up during night and when I open my bathroom door at morning , I feel it immediately. I dont see any leaks in the bathroom. It has a faucet, toilet and bath tub.
    I stopped using the bath tub and the smell is far less compared to earlier. When I used the bath tub, I could feel the smell the next morning. The plumber came and looked at the bathroom and said there is no leak. Not sure whether from where this smell is getting built up. Any ideas?

Default Re: Bad smell in the bath room

Check the drainpipes--especially the S-trap or P-trap which has to be full of water to prevent sewer gas from wafting into the bathroom.

Also check the ring seal at the base of toilet to make sure there is no dampness on the floor near the base.

Is this bath used often? If not then the water in the p traps of the sink and tub can evaperate and sewer gas simply enters from the plumbing. Solution is to ocassionally run water down these drains to keep the p traps full of water .
    Is there any way to view the tub drain from below? If a ceiling is finished below it is there any staining or bubbleing of the ceiling ?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Is this bath used often? If not then the water in the p traps of the sink and tub can evaperate and sewer gas simply enters from the plumbing. Solution is to ocassionally run water down these drains to keep the p traps full of water .
    Is there any way to view the tub drain from below? If a ceiling is finished below it is there any staining or bubbleing of the ceiling ?

Thanks for your reply.
    1. This bath tub is not used often. Let me try running water down on this drain at regular interval and see whether it helps or not.
    2. There is no way to view the tub drain. I live in a condominium on first floor. I dont see any staining or bubbling on the sides of the bath tub and as well as in the whole bath room. Whole bath room is clean and no sign of stains.

3. Since I cant view anything other than the buth tub surface on the top, How do I find out what kind of trap it has below it and whether water exist in the trap?

I've got a similar problem in my bathroom. The culprit seems to be the overflow in the sink. I haven't figured out a way to clean it.

You might clean out the overflow pipe in your bathtub. Remove the cover plate (it's the roundish thing under the tub spout) and run some kind of brush down there. If you can, do the same for the drain.

Both of these areas are before the drain trap, so even if the trap is working properly it won't stop bad smells from here.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Howdy, the tub should have a p trap installed under the drain. It may just be what i referenced prior about the water evaporating.
    Oh the other post about the sink over flow... again the sinks p trap is below where the overflow accesses the drainage so sewer gas is stopped at the water in the p trap.
    Try this pour a cup of vinegar down each the sink and the tub drain and about an hour later run some water to flush the system - vinegar is a good cleaner.