+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to find doorbell transformer

Well id put em on the panel. thats where mine is and makes it easy to find and replace. Who knows where they hid your at.. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    To save time and money, why not switch to a wireless doorbell?

I've installed a few of them, they work on batteries and they are very inexpensive. But if you're really tired of solicitors, just keep your disabled bell
    My 78-year old mother-in-law has a wireless (2 receivers) ringer, but when I do my annual visit (I'm in DC and they're in SoCal), the transmitter battery is always depleted, and it uses a non-standard battery which requires a run to the store for her.

Solicitors are not deterred by a non-working bell; they'll just knock on your door.

Brookworld,

You can get bells that run on c batteries. You can also put a "no solicitors" sign on the door - it works for me...

Look by your furnace. There is a switch to turn the furnace off for service. The transformer may be right next to that.

round here they are in the attic.

happy hunting.

As you see those transformers can be in any one of muliple locations.
    They are also commonly found attached to a light box in a basement ( especially the type with a pull chain ).

Ideally it would be located at the service panel.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Tried posting a couple days ago but ???

Look on the side of your furnace. There is a switch to turn the furnace off for service. Doorbell transformers are often mounted here near the switch.

I traced mine (no voltage from bell wire) to defective transformer encased behind drywall in garage. So instead of trying to find exact spot I just installed a new transformer easily accessible in my garage.

Attach the leads of a welder to the bell wires. Turn on welder. The resulting explosions may reveal the location of the (now defunct) transformer.

Note: this technique may require extensive repairs to your home. Be sure to wear safety glasses.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.