+ Reply to Thread

Question Hot water slow to reach upstairs bath room

It takes a long time for hot water to start flowing in either the shower or wash basin in our master suite. Has anyone had and succssfully fixed this problem? the hot water tank is in the basement and the master suite must be at least 100ft maybe more from the tank, we are on a well.
    Thanks

Default Re: Hot water slow to reach upstairs bath room

Options would be to move the water heater closer --- or --- add a point of use water heater at the bathroom --- or --- a hot water circulating pump.

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I have a similar problem with the water heater located too far from some places I need to have hot water.

Is a "point of use" water heater like a tankless water heater?

The hot water circulating pump sounds like it may be the best solution. How does it work? How difficult is it to install? Does it use a lot of electricity?

I was considering putting a small (4 gal.) water heater under my kitchen sink. Would this be enough capacity for a dishwasher?

My first choice would be a circulating pump. Get your plumber to do that.

The Laing Autocirc pump can be installed under the bathroom sink by a DIY'er as long as there is an outlet nearby that it can be plugged into.

It connects to both the hot and cold lines, and pumps the hot line into the cold line until the hot water reaches a thermostatic valve in the unit (and the valve closes). It does not require a separate return line.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks for the replies.

I found a DIY article at a site that sells these pumps (http://www.hvacquick.com/howtos/howto.php).

This project would go together well with another project I want to do, replace the faucet in the guest bathroom. My next question is about replacing the shut-off valves under the sink. They are sweated on and I am not sure I want to try replacing them with the same kind. What other options do I have? Are the "press on (?)" valves reliable? Are flexible hoses compatible with the pump?

Maybe I could just buy some copper fittings and just practice soldering them before attempting the real thing.

There are various types of angle stops on the market.
    I use them all: 1/2" thread, 1/2" sweat and compression. If properly installed, they are all good.

Removing a sweat valve sometimes requires the use of a torch, and often time the pipe nipple can be damaged. If the nipple is long enough out the wall or floor, it's better to just cut it. Once the nipple is free of the old angle stop, inspect it, clean it and install your new stops.

Did I mention to turn the main water off?

The aforementioned pumps connect to the wall stops (and faucet) with hoses. No need to replace the stop unless it's bad or soldered on both sides.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

point of use heater is better long term solution. The constant water circulation idea wastes heat and electricity over the long pull.

http://longisland-architects.com