+ Reply to Thread

Default Mowen shower control

I have a a 10 year old shower control that does not give out good hot water. The rest of the faucets in the house are HOT, but the shower is not so much. I am thinking the shower control might need replacing, it is a Mowen brand. I am sort of a do-it-yourselfer and want to know if I'm right and if so, how to do it. Will I need any special tools to do this job? Our house is a old cape so usually these type of projects turn into major ones which I hope to minimize with some sound advise before starting. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Mowen shower control

Depending on the age of the faucet, it could just need to be adjusted. For about the last 15 years shower faucets have been pressure and temperature balanced. The ones I've dealt with used a tooth cam behind the handle to control how much hot water is allowed through the valve. Check to make sure that it's not just a simple adjustment before trying to replace everything.

To change a valve requires access to the plumbing inside the wall. Usually this is accessed through the shower side, but can also be done from the back. It's not a job for a novice, particularly if your home poses problems with these types of repairs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Moen shower control

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Depending on the age of the faucet, it could just need to be adjusted. For about the last 15 years shower faucets have been pressure and temperature balanced. The ones I've dealt with used a tooth cam behind the handle to control how much hot water is allowed through the valve. Check to make sure that it's not just a simple adjustment before trying to replace everything.
    My caveat is that I'm a novice.
    If you know or can guess at the model, check the website for owners manual. If you're lucky, perhaps you see it & they have it, and there are instructions for balancing.

Regardless, then try Moen's customer service, but help them with as many details about the control, like how it looks, etc. so they can maybe use the knowledge database (and avoid 45 minutes on the phone of trying the wrong fixes).

Default Re: Moen shower control

Quote Originally Posted by Brookworld View Post
    My caveat is that I'm a novice.
    If you know or can guess at the model, check the website for owners manual. If you're lucky, perhaps you see it & they have it, and there are instructions for balancing.

Regardless, then try Moen's customer service, but help them with as many details about the control, like how it looks, etc. so they can maybe use the knowledge database (and avoid 45 minutes on the phone of trying the wrong fixes).
    Thanks, I've taken the handle off and don't see a model #. I don't see anything that looks like an adjustment feature. I guess a call or e-mail to Moen is the next step.