+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default painting Kitchen cabinets

Hi I am painting kitchen cabinets that have been stained a light color and would like to paint them linen white and sand the edges randomly and let them show a a black color where they are sanded. What are the steps necessary to do this? thanks Brian

Default Re: painting Kitchen cabinets

I would first make sure the doors are clean as are the cabinets and if not clean them well and dry them off. Next lightly sand the doors while they are on the frame. Now take the doors off of the cabinets and mark them with painters blue tape as to where they were. Now lightly sand the frames but leave the inside as it is it is real hard painting the inside of the finished cabinet. Next you need to build a rack as you will hang the cabinet doors on the rack from hooks while you paint. This will allow you to paint both sides at once. How tall to build the rack depends on how tall the doors are. I would first paint the doors black since you want a black edge to show and then paint them linen white. Paint the front and back first and then when it has had about four days to dry move your tape that tells you where to put the doors onto one of the sides carefully and then paint the edges first black and then white. Good luck to you!

Here are a couple of tips:

• Instead of building a rack system: try using painter's pyramids by HYDE found at Home Depot. If you are in DIY mode then you can take your time and do one side at a time.
    • If you are wanting to expose black on the edges of cabinet doors - just paint those targeted areas black instead of the whole door.
    • To expose the black: while the top coat is still wet - use a plastic putty knife to remove the edges. This will give you control over the amount you want to reveal. If you are not satisfied with the results - just repaint over and remove again.
    • Do the same with the cabinet frames as well.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by PaintPro; 11-07-2011 at 11:44 AM.

I have done a sample door,painting the edges black frst and then painting the whole door linen,and then random sanding the edges and it has the look that I was after.Thank you for the ideas

Rustoleum sells a good cabinet refinishing kit that may be worth looking into to see if it has this finish available.

I love the idea of exposing some of the black paint underneath! It's fun to play around with interior paint and experiment with different finishes. I'll have to try this next time I paint.