+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Radiator removal

I want to remove a radiator to fix a floor. Can I remove the feed and return lines w/o interrupting the rest of the system? I can turn off the valve on the feed but do I have to cap the return line? Thanks. Joe

Default Re: Radiator removal

Joe you can't remove the radiator and keep the system running unless you cap the lines.

John

you have to drain the heating system, fix the floor then re-hook up the radiator and refill the heating system.

Is the piping in series so he can't use the system until he re-installs the radiator ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brookworld View Post
    Is the piping in series so he can't use the system until he re-installs the radiator ?
    I don't think so it sounds like it's a cast iron radiator. He said he had one valve on the feed. More then likely a one or two pipe system.

John

I think it is a 2 pipe system. I am basing that on the pipes that lead upstairs. Two pipes next to each other. I am guessing one is the feed and one is the return. Thanks for the responses. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo74 View Post
    I think it is a 2 pipe system. I am basing that on the pipes that lead upstairs. Two pipes next to each other. I am guessing one is the feed and one is the return. Thanks for the responses.
    I'm no expert, but they all have a "return" pipe back to the boiler. I was asking if radiators are "daisy chained" or "parallel" to the pipe. If each radiator has an adjustable input valve (as distinguished from a bleed valve), then temporarily removing the radiator still permits water through to other radiators in the zone/branch. Multi-dwelling houses are definitely NOT daisey chained, and they make new thermostats for individual radiators.

My hydronic system, has 4 zones (separate branches), and I think, each zone has "daisy chained" baseboard heat emitters (radiators) so if I remove one emitter, water is cut off from the others in the zone and can't return to the boiler. The pump circulator would pump water and pressurize the end cap of the removed radiator section, and I wouldn't know what would happen. So, I would turn the system OFF while the radiator is out. (Maybe my radiators are not daisey chained, but I can't see evidence of one way or another).

Don't know about your system, but you should know the possibilities before removing the radiator.
    Last edited by Brookworld; 11-02-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Without knowing the full system configeration it is best to drian the system. Shutting off the valve on the feed side will not stop back feed on the return pipe.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

@brook world

not all steam systems have a return line. there is what is refered to a one pipe reverse return in which case the steam is on top and condensate on the botton

Quote Originally Posted by perchinonlakeerie View Post
    @brook world

not all steam systems have a return line. there is what is refered to a one pipe reverse return in which case the steam is on top and condensate on the botton
    The OP said feed and return line.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb