+ Reply to Thread

Default Upper cabinets for a sloped ceiling

I have an a-frame cottage and am thinking about building new kitchen cabinets. The challenge is with the upper cabinets; the wall begins to slope in at about a 45" angle, about 48" from the floor. I can't build shelves at a conventional depth, since they will be too narrow at the top. Plus, I'm not sure if I need to do something different about hanging the cabinets to make sure they are secure enough since they'll essentially be hanging from the sloped ceiling.

Any suggestions or guidelines for building cabinets under these kinds of circumstances?

Default Re: Upper cabinets for a sloped ceiling

Your best bet might be to use open shelving instead of cabinets. You could attach the shelving to the sloped structural members. Is there anything there now that you could get ideas from or are there just base cabinets? Perhaps leave the wall with the slope with no upper cabinets and just put them on other walls in the kitchen that aren't sloped.

Mike

Thanks Mike; that's along the lines of what I was thinking, but there isn't a lot of room so it's not an option to leave the upper area empty.

I'm thinking that I might try and work out some measurements that will give me a usable shelf at the bottom of the uppers, tapering to a fairly shallow shelf at top.

Do you have cabinets in your kitchen right now? if yes, what kind and how are they hung?

There are some home-made upper cabinets currently, but they're fairly short. I'd like to build cabinets that are typical height for uppers, but I'll need to make them fairly deep at the bottom in order to have any usable space at top.

The current cabinets are attached with metal angle brackets that hit the studs; not very elegant or attractive! If I build larger cabinets I will have more weight, and will have to attach them with something more substantial and less intrusive.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Whether you build the cabinets yourself or have the custom built, make sure that (a)the backing is thick enough and the construction is such to be able to carry the weight, and (b)the fasteners you use can keep the cabinets in place.