+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crooked door

Question Crooked door

The entrance door from our garage appears to have shifted. When you look at the door from inside the house the frame is straight but the door looks crooked. The door has also become drafty in a few places. Any easy fix or suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: Crooked door

First try tightening the hinge screws and see if that takes care of the problem. Also check the hinge pins to see if they are excessively worn. Check the crack around the door to see if it is even, if not you may have to shim some of the hinges. Playing cards makes good shim material. If the door is warped it may be necessary to replace the door.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Oh, by the way, just because a door frame looks straight doesn't mean it is. Check using a level on the sides and a square on the corners.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

First check and see if your door jamb is plumbed and squared (sides and front). If not, plumb and square it.

Second, check the door. Use an accurate 4' level. If not plumbed, (sides, front and back) you can make adjustments. I can't tell which way to adjust, since I don't know which way the door is tilting. You must determine that yourself. To see some of the ways carpenters do it, go to Youtube.

If the problem is in the hinges, you may have to use longer screws to make sure your hinges are fastened correctly and don't move.

After you've made sure the hinges are secure...

If the door is actually square (checked with a square) but the jamb is not, your house has probably settled unevenly and you may have serious structural issues. Jacking up an unlevel house is not a DIY job for a beginner. (Or the jamb never was installed square in the first place.)

If the frame is square but the door is racked, the door will need to be repaired or replaced. Repair of a racked door generally involves dismantling and regluing it.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

you probably dont have to go as far as just mentioned. check the door for level on the sil, then check the jamb on the hinge side for being plumb

if its not plumb you can take the door frame out and reinstall it so it is or make minor adjustments to get it workign properly again
    fire up the saw and make some dust