+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default wood filler for stained interior trim

I am staining some new interior window trim. I would like to fill nail heads with a matching wood putty. Is there a way to tint putty with the stain so it will match? What type of putty is best to use? Also, is it best to apply stain with rag or brush? Thanks.

Bill Hajjar

Default Re: wood filler for stained interior trim

You can get wood filler with the popular colors. Just inquire at paint shops or big box shops.

There's a couple things you can do, if you want to match exactly, then pick up a selection of Color Putty and mix your own custom colors. As long as there isn't much for graining present, the filled holes will just about disappear.

The next thing you can do is us Dap Natural wood filler. Dap is a sandable product and the natural will take on whatever stain color you apply, so the filled hole looks more like a knot than anything else. Most of the time the fill will be nearly invisible.

One last thing you can do is to mix sanding dust with a touch of glue and use that as filler. The wood color will be matched perfectly. You may want to stain a piece of scrap and sand that for the dust. I'd also recommend playing with this technique before putting it into practice to make sure you get the results you're looking for. Once the sawdust is mixed with glue, it's not going to take on much for stain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Fill after stain so that you know what color to match, and you don't create problems with the color taking unevenly around the holes. There are nightmare scenarios where people have filled holes with allegedly-stainable filler only to discover that claim to be untrue.
    I really like the wax filler pencils; you can intermix colors to get a perfect match.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Traditionally, nail holes have been filled with colored putty. More often than not, you can't find the exact color. In this case, you simply blend the putties together, like kids playing with clay, to get the desired color. Often, it is neccessary to mix 2 or 3 colors to match the particular part of the grain in which the nail was set.

The hole is filled ONLY AFTER THE WOOD HAS BEEN STAINED AND THE FIRST COAT OF SEALER APPLIED! The putty is oil based and if you apply it to bare wood, or even wood which has been stained and not sealed, you will get an oily smudge down into the grain and you will not be able to remove it.

The stain is simply forced into the hole and then the excess is wiped away with a clean, dry cloth. The final coat(s) of varnish is then applied.

Exclamation Re: wood filler for stained interior trim

Hi,

I believe kedadyeinc.com has kit that will tint putties, I am going to try this myself, but wondered if anyone has heard of this kit yet, or if they have tried it?
    Last edited by kamara; 03-31-2012 at 01:46 PM.