+ Reply to Thread

Default Preparing outdoor faucet for winter

After draining the outside faucet line and closing the inside drain cap, is it best to leave the outdoor faucet in the opened or closed position?

Default Re: Preparing outdoor faucet for winter

I don't have a freezing problem in my city, but logically, if the line leading to the faucet is empty and the shut off valve feeding the line is in off position, it makes no difference. The key word here is "empty".

There could be instances when the shut off valve is lower than the faucet, leaving some water in the line, and that might cause a problem.

Leave the outside faucet open. That way if the valve inside the house should leak you will see the water dripping outside and be able to make repairs on the inside valve before it gets to cold.

John

Leave it open.

With the temperature changes, the closed valve and pipe will have fluctuating pressure changes going from negative to positive.

An open outdoor valve will release any condensation, avoid pressure fluctuations and flush out anything when you turn the inside valve back on in the spring. An open valve also stresses the valve seat less, making it last longer although the added life would only be of concern to 'hard core' engineers.

Thanks for the responses. I had a plumber tell me years ago to leave them open, but then I saw a couple of websites saying to close them. So - open they will be! Thanks again.

The outside faucet should be left open.

Leave it open, and be sure to remove the hose too. Water in the hose will freeze and break a pipe inside the wall.

Post Re: Preparing outdoor faucet for winter

I am about to prepare my outside faucet for the winter once again. What I do is shut off the water inside, disconnect the hose--hate to see a hose burst from the freezing! Then I turn the faucet on as if water was on--prevents problems and ets me see quickly on my daily walk around the house if there are any problems!
    STLOUIEY
    "The best house is an old house." "You can't fix stupid!"