+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom Odor after drywall repair and repaint

I have an odd situation that I need some advice on. Several months ago, I was in my attic caulking around my electrical boxes in the ceiling to help stop drafts. While up there, I accidently stepped on my bathroom fan and ended up breaking some of the drywall that supports the fan. Luckily I noticed it before my foot went all the way through so the damage wasn't too bad. I ended up putting some blocking in the ceiling and then I was able to screw the orginal drwyall back into place. I had to mud the area so I decided to repaint the whole ceiling. Everything looks good now but now I notice a funny odor in the bathroom. It doesn't smell like mold or sewer gas and I can't pinpoint it to any certain area in the bathroom. The paint I used to paint the ceiling was several years old but didn't smell funny and looked fine after I stirred it up. I ended up buying some new paint and repainted it again but the smell is still there. I tried covering up the fan opening thinking that the smell was coming form the attic but the smell was still there. I thought it might be coming from he sink or shower trap so I but some bleach down there but the smell is still there. The smell is not overpowering but it also seems like it changes in itensity at different times of the day. I've run out of ideas on what this could be. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Default Re: Bathroom Odor after drywall repair and repaint

Well, may be the smell would temporally and after few days everything will normal.

No the smell has been there on and off over the last several months.

It could be the old paint.

I'd cut out the drywall with the old paint, remove it, install new drywall instead, prime it and paint it with new paint.

Try it, what do you have to lose? some unpleasant smell?

I think itís the old paint that you have used on the ceiling is the cause. The paint might look and feel good while you were stirring it up, but could have ended up with emitting a smell once it has dried. I would advise you to remove your old paint and paint it fresh.