+ Reply to Thread

Default Water goes cold in shower, water pressure

Everytime I get into the shower someone flushes the toilet, the water goes cold, you have to turn to hot, then its to hot. I have heard of a fascet you can install, the problem the other bathroom behind it was just remolded, I don't want to cut out the drywall. This is a pre fabed fiberglass shower stall. Is there any other way I can prevent this from happening? It drives me crazy..

Default Re: Water goes cold in shower, water pressure

You need to replace the faucet with a balance pressure faucet. This can be done with a remodel plate. It allows you to remove the old faucet and install a new one. You open the wall just smaller then the remodel plate and replace the faucet through the opening.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89236-329-19...ductId=3266915

John

Thats what I thought at first, but that wall would have to be opened on the just remodeled other bathroom on other side. I would have to cut out drywall pach and repaint. Someone told me about putting a small pump on the hot water tank, but did not know how to do it, have you heard about that?

You open the wall in bath room you are replacing the faucet in. I don't know who your talking to about a small pump but they are way off base. And have no knowledge of plumbing.

John

I know you hate to do it on your newly installed drywall, but how are you going to get to the body of the faucet without cutting?

Regarding the "pump": you need to replace the body.

It reminds me of my street. The city came and repaved it. It was beautiful. 5 months later, the gas company came, tore out the street, did some work, their worker patched when they were drunk, and now it looks worse than before they repaved...Can't fight cityhall.

Thanks. I guess Iam in for another mess,in the new bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Thanks. I guess Iam in for another mess,in the new bathroom.
    There really is no way to fix the flush & freeze problem except to replace the shower valve with a pressure balancing type.

Sometimes, you can improve the situation by using larger pipes: run 3/4" all the way from where it comes in the house to where it splits between the toilet and shower. (The idea is to not have the toilet & shower on the SAME 1/2" supply line.) The cold supply line from the main all the way to the water heater should never be smaller than 3/4", either. That isn't always foolproof, though, and may not work if your water pressure is less than 50 PSI.

You could also try a lower-flow showerhead.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    It reminds me of my street. The city came and repaved it. It was beautiful. 5 months later, the gas company came, tore out the street, did some work, their worker patched when they were drunk, and now it looks worse than before they repaved...Can't fight cityhall.
    The city repaved your street ? Come to No. Virginia, home of the CIA and Pentagon. The City/County doesn't believe in smooth roads, but they have a balanced budget. Across the Potomac in Montgomery County, MD they also don't repave but have big budget deficits and the unions are out of control. Maybe they gave up as the gas companies rip up repaved roads.