+ Reply to Thread

Default Register size needed

I have a 40 year old home that was originally installed with 48" baseboard registers under windows. I need to replace these as they are old and cannot be refurbished. I have a large window area that has two of the 48" registers side by side, that covers the entire window area. The actual opening to these vents from the furnace is 12". My question is if I need to replace these with two 48" registers or would two 24" registers be sufficient. In other words, I will go from coverage of 96" to 48" with a gap between the two registers. I replaced these windows last year and they are air tight.

Thanks

Default Re: Register size needed

One of the basic ideas of aviation, as I recall, is reducing air passage, thus increasing air pressure, which translates into "lift" and "flying". let's hope that your house doesn't take off...

But really, I can't see why it could not be done. BTW, what's the reason for doing that?

It is difficult to find the 48" vents. So far I have ony found them on line and it is difficult to determine the quality of the vents from a picture.

I think that if you can get the same size registers on line, do that. Just make sure you know the refund policy, in case you are not impressed by the registers or if they don't fit.

Going down to a smaller size will require some drywall work, patching, sanding, painting that will match... do you really want to do that?

That's not a problem, I just want to make sure that if I do reduce in size that it will not affect heating of the room.