+ Reply to Thread

Default Plastic Shutters

I have dark blue shutters on my house that are starting to fade. Is there any product I can use or is there any procedure I can do to bring them back to the original color?

Default Re: Plastic Shutters

turtle wax trim restorer I have dark forest green shutters and they look brand new after 10 years .It is for cars but works great on the shutters.I used it on my shutters 2 years ago and they still look great and the sun beats mine up in VA and saw this and bought it for my truck and just tried it and was amazed and water just repels off them now .I am going to redo mine this spring

Yes there is. It is called paint!

that plastic paint they have is garbage when it comes to shutters .It cracks and peels no matter how you good you prep the shutters .It is so much easier with the trim restorer .You just wipe it on just like you do with your vehicle and it works on my trucks .Not as much work either .You don't have to take them down you just wipe it on .

Funny, I have painted literally hundreds of plastic shutters over the four decades of my paint contracting career with few problems. Today's modern acrylic paints have excellent adhesion, color retention and the paint film flexes with the expansion of the plastic when the sun heats them up. This is why acrylic paints are the paint of choice when PVC siding is to be painted. One caveat when painting PVC siding is to NEVER paint it a color darker than the original color. The additional heat assorbsion can completely and irreversibly warp the siding!

for me it is just easier to wipe on the trim restorer .I don't have to take shutters down and prep them ,just wipe it on and done .It does a great job on the trim on my tuck inside and out and even lasts through all the salt brine they put down on the roads here .I don't want to make more work for myself than I need to .I am retired and a 61 year old women and have enough to do than take down shutters. I live in VA and the sun beats on my shutters all day long when it is out .I paid 8 dollars for the bottle and it did 2 trucks inside and out and all 18 shutters 1 plastic table and chairs and even made the plastic parts on my 2 ride on mowers look like new and still plenty left to do them all again .Even shined up my string trimmers .I keep looking for new places to use it .I wish I could load pics on here but I have all my pics directly on my puter so it won't allow it