+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Window for in a Bath Shower?

I am looking to remodel my bath room and I need to replace the tub and so I am thinking that the windows that is in the shower should be replaced at the same time. So I am wondering what would be the better one to use and I will need to match it in the future when I get to replacing the other windows in the house.

Any suggestions as to material of the window. Even brand name would be some info I could use to search out info on them.

Do they make a window that has some type of exterior that will repel the water from inside the shower.

In the planning stages just to get everything so I can do it in a timely manner.

Thanks,
    MMeehan

Default Re: Good Window for in a Bath Shower?

Any solid vinyl window will be fine. Normally in showers we use one that doesn't open so there is no mechanism to rust.

How about a Fiberglass framed window would that be a good choice as well as vinyl. Not seen many that don't open that is a good idea since I have yet to open the window there now.

Thanks,
    MMeehan

Fiberglass is also an excellent choice. Normally the non-opening winders are special ordered, which is no big deal.

I always liked the look of a 4'w x 1'h awning window above a tub surround, like 80" off the floor. With privacy glass; it lights the whole bathroom as the obscure glass diffuses the light, it's out of the way of the splash area; opening it dries the room pretty fast, supressing the formation of mold.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

No Shower Surround the window is 24 x 36 or so I will have to measure it again but it is similar to the other house windows and I can't afford to close off the window just not in the budget to reside the whole house. Will be squeezing my fund just to update the bath room with a tub, new vanity, sink, tile for the walls and floor and of course the window.

And it is a DIY Project and it is going to be a chore to get the cast iron tub out...

MMeehan

When we remove a CI tub we smash it into pieces with a sledge hammer. The bottom is generally very thin and a good place to start breaking it into carry-able sized pieces. Be aware of flying pieces of porcelain. You will want to wear eye protection, have a shop vac handy, and cover the area to be struck with a towel or moving blanket.

The CI can be recycled.

Or CraigsLIst the tub and see if anyone wants to remove it for free.

If you're wanting this bathroom window to eventually match the rest of the windows you intend to buy for your house, then stay away from a fiberglass window. That's cuz having all fiberglass windows in your house is like living half way between purgatory and he11.

Fiberglass is a strong material, but it's not tough like wood or PVC. EVERY time you remove a screw from fiberglass and put it back in, you're damaging the fiberglass if the screw cuts a new thread. That's because the glass fibers in the resin break instead of just moving out of the way like wood or PVC would.

Even just the buffeting of an open window in the wind will break the glass fibers in fiberglass, causing screws to loosen over time. And every time you tighten a screw in fiberglass, there's the ever present danger of it stripping the hole it's in.

If they made fiberglass windows out of SOLID fiberglass, it'd probably be a different story. You could fix the stripped screw holes with epoxy or whatever. The problem is that the fiberglass in fiberglass windows is only about 1/8 of an inch thick. Consequently, you can't repair stripped holes in fiberglass windows. You can only use a bigger screw, but that's only a temporary fix because the root of the problem is the unsuitability of fiberglass to steel screws, and so the end result is that instead of larger screws, you're eventually forced to use LONGER screws that screw right into the wood framing surrounding the fiberglass window.

As long as fiberglass window manufacturers are using screws in the fiberglass to mount opener hardware, I'd avoid fiberglass windows at all costs. They're just a headache waiting for a buyer, and so you don't want to commit yourself to installing fiberglass windows throughout your house cuz your bathroom window is fiberglass.

I'd buy anyone's PVC window cuz they all look much the same from the outside, so only window salesmen would be able to tell your white PVC bathroom window is made by a different company than all the other white PVC windows in your house.
    Last edited by Nestor; 08-07-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Personally, I like a bathroom window to be what Casey says, 4x1 with privacy glass.

I don't think that replacing a window is a job for an average DIY. There are a lot of things that can go wrong when poorly done.

A cast iron tub has to be broken down to pieces to be removed, unless you have help and large enough door to carry it out. make sure you don't damage the drain.

i agree totally with having a smaller window as high up as possible in the shower. Not only does it have to be properly sealed to be waterproof on the outside now it has to be on the inside. the last thing you want to have to do is reframe the wall because it rotted from the inside out due to water damage, ive done it on homes ive renovated... not a fun thing to have to tell a home owner that you found rot when getting ready to install a new window. when you go to install the interior trim for the window, do not use mdf. either use pine which has been completely sealed on all edges with a oil based primer, or switch to vinyl trim which wont rot at all. also caulk all the joints with either a exterior grade polybeutyl siding caulking which can be painted or white silicone

as for fibreglass windows. the last post regaring them is entirely not true. Yes fibreglass is more expensive however they perform much better than the standard vinyl window, both for durability but for energy performance.. Also with the way they are constructed if the installer puts screws through the correct location when installing it there is no issue with stripping it out. normally they have metal reinforcing plates in them which give it addded strength or the frame is actually wood but has a fibreglass veneer which gives it added strength plus water proofing. Not only that, recent studies into the true lenght of life in vinyl windows are starting to show up where vinyl windows from the early 90's are having to be replaced as they are breaking down and its not too far fetched that the current ones will only have an expected life of 15-20 years where as fibreglass can last up to 30. also fibreglass looks much nicer, the last 3 years or so we have gotten away from steel doors and been installing nothing but fibreglass entry doors for homes..
    fire up the saw and make some dust