+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hide Deck Cement Footings

My husband built a great three tier deck. However, the outside footings are about 6 inches from the last board on the deck. The deck is a step down.

How do I cover them so it has a clean line. I thought when he was building it, the sides would be covered with additional decking material. But now we can't cover them with decking, or at least not the areas where there is a rounded cement footer jetting out.

I believe he was thinking the same as myself, but we both are so proud of what he has done, and I don't want to say anything negative about the deck, so I thought all of you could give me some advice and links to pictures that may help.
    Last edited by llcannon; 10-27-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: grammer

Default Re: Hide Deck Cement Footings

build planter boxes at the locations of the footings, it will dress things up and hide the footings at the same time
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Another option would be to stucco or paint the concrete footing.

If the footings sit proud of the deck face and cannot be covered, then I would recommend planting bushes along the front edge of the deck to hide the footings and underside of the deck. A planter would work, but if the footings sit forward of the deck, you're still going to see them behind the planter, you'll also not want to create a situation where soil or water can rest against the deck posts and cause rot.

You could also devise a cantilever to extend the deck beyond the footings so that they can be hidden with either lattice or solid wood planking. The cantilever would have to be built suitable to the situation, if it's purely decorative, then not a lot of structure needs to be used to support it. If the cantilever will be walked on, then it must be substantially supported to carry the weight of foot traffic, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks everyone. I will look into planting some bushes to cover them up. I looked at the cantilever to extend the deck, however, I do not think that is an option. I like the bushes. Very doable.

When considering plants around the footings, you have to take moisture into consideration, if you have wood posts (even treated or redwood). Insects and possible rot will quickly weaken the posts over time.

most codes now limit the amount of cantilever for decks to the equivalent of what the joist dimension is... so if you used 2x8's the cantilever can be no more than 7 1/4" beyond the beam. this may be different in your region though . thats the code here

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    most codes now limit the amount of cantilever for decks to the equivalent of what the joist dimension is... so if you used 2x8's the cantilever can be no more than 7 1/4" beyond the beam. this may be different in your region though . thats the code here
    Americans aren't as big as you Canukistanians ..
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

whats that supposed to mean, and its canukians not canukistans.... i forgot your a airheadican

Smile Re: Hide Deck Cement Footings

Cantilever of decks:
    dont know about Canada but in the US that is not the case.
    I typically overhang decks 16" beyond a girder.

You may be thinking of the rule of thumb about load bearing
    walls being offset no more than the depth of the joist.

http://westchester-architects.com