+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses for 14/2

Default Uses for 14/2

Does anyone still use 14/2 anymore? and in what cases? I kno 15amp=14/2 or 12/2 20amp=12/2 but it seems like no matter what the scenario everyone says use 12/2. I have even been planning interconnected smoke alarms and people still recommend 12/2 and i know the load is nowhere near the limitations of 14/2. Opinions?

Default Re: Uses for 14/2

The majority of general 15 amp circuits are still 14/2 --- it's not as common for 12/2 being used for general 15 amp circuits -- mainly because of the cost difference between the two gages of copper wire.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Most people will recommend using 12/2 to DIYers because the circuit can easily be upgraded to 20 amp. Often the circuit contain lights and receptacles and DIYers usually don't know how to do load calculations..

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

my general rule is, 12/2 for outlets and 14/2 for lights.. Im thinking you might want to use a 14/3 (not a 14/2) for your smokes though. they typically have a third wire that will interconnect all the devices. And a 14 guage wire is exactly what i would use, its SO much easier to work with!!!

To interconnect smoke or carbon monoxide detectors you must use either 12-3 or 14-3, depending on the breaker size.

Call me crazy but I've been carrying a roll of 14-2 & 14-3 around in my truck for 7 years and haven't used more than half of it, for repair work.

Now that expensive AFCI's are required just about everywhere it just makes sense to use #12 wire to allow more outlets on the AFCI.

Also, 12-4 w/G will begin to be used for 3 way (and 4 way) circuits since a neutral is now required at all switch locations, even if not needed at the time of the installation, with few exceptions.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, [URL="http://thesemiretiredelectrician.com"]

In my fair city, 14/2 is allowed for your regular 20amp outlets. Scary I know.

Sometimes I use this wire to bundle stuff, such as wrenches, sockets and other tools.

Seriously, I use it from switches to the light fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    In my fair city, 14/2 is allowed for your regular 20amp outlets. Scary I know.
    Well actually you can use 14/2 on a 30 amp outlet, but it has to be protected by a 15 amp breaker.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Well i have 250ft and I want to use as much as possible in my upcoming projects so it's not wasted.

I plan on creating the following new circuits using it:
    1. 15amp - Dedicated feed to garbage disposal.
    2. 15amp - Lighting for 4 dimmable recessed fixtures plus an attached exterior fixture
    3. 15 amp - Dining room light(400watts), 3x 120watt light fixtures for hallways(360 watts)

Does this sound ok or a little too underutilized as i'm way under the 80% mark for 15amp. Other recommendations are welcome.

1. 15amp - Dedicated feed to garbage disposal.
    Sounds fine

2. 15amp - Lighting for 4 dimmable recessed fixtures plus an attached exterior fixture
    Sounds fine from the switch to the lights

3. 15 amp - Dining room light(400watts), 3x 120watt light fixtures for hallways(360 watts)
    Ok for the feed to the hall lights

Feed from the switch to a light that may some day be converted to a fan & light must now be 3 wire w/g

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, [URL="http://thesemiretiredelectrician.com"]