+ Reply to Thread

Angry Fitting new light fittings

I tried to fit new light fittings in my living room, but when i removed the old fittings there is no earth wire.
    How do i rectify this problem?

Default Re: Fitting new light fittings

By 'earth wire' I assume you mean the bare ground wire.

Can you tell us a little more about the wiring in your home? How old is the wiring? Is it Knob-and-tube or the more modern plastic coated romex type? Do the outlets in your home all have 3 prongs?

Note that the orignal poster is in Scotland. Materials, installation methods, and codes may be different than in the United States.

In the English-speaking parts of Europe, what America calls "ground" they call "earth" (when referring to the safety conductor).
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Hi, yeah i do mean the bare ground wire. the wiring is 2 core plastic coated wires, with no earth, (ground wire)the old fittings had this wire, but it was connected back onto itself! strnge but true, and it seemed to work ok, but i've tried that, but this time the light is dull and flickers.

Some fluorescent fixtures need to be grounded to work properly. Adding a ground/earth wire can be done, but it may depend on how your home is constructed. If your home was wired after it was built, you may be able to hook new wires onto the old ones, and use the old ones to pull the new wires thru. Otherwise, it becomes a challenge of fishing wires without leaving behind a big mess to fix.

If you have incandescent or CFL bulbs, the flickering is probably some other issue -- double-check the connections.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 10-29-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by bs1976 View Post
    Hi, yeah i do mean the bare ground wire. the wiring is 2 core plastic coated wires, with no earth, (ground wire)the old fittings had this wire, but it was connected back onto itself! strnge but true, and it seemed to work ok, but i've tried that, but this time the light is dull and flickers.
    Someone once told me how Scotts do electrical wires...but I can't repeat it here...

To sort your wires and do it to your local codes, I would suggest you contact a local contractor for advice. It will be money well spent.