+ Reply to Thread

Talking Curved Shoe Molding on My Bottom Step

The bottom step of my stairs is missing the shoe molding where it meets the floor. The bottom step is staright except at one end, where it is curved. I would like to put in quarter round shoe molding and stain it to match the existing molding on the other walls. I would prefer wood over a synthetic solution. What are my options?

Default Re: Curved Shoe Molding on My Bottom Step

Search on line, you'll find fabricators with many options.

You could try steaming, however that takes pretty straight grained stock to do so, which you may not find with common moldings. Another route would be to talk with a stair builder, you may be able to make a cardboard cut-out of the bend and they can make a curved molding to suit your needs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You could also try soaking the end in a bucket of water rather than steaming. I usually make a pattern and use a router to make a new piece.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

add one more vote for searching on line. It only took a few clicks to find what you needed in a choice of wood species.

saw kerf cutting it onthe backside of it might also work. ive done it for very gradual radious..

otherwise you may want to go with paint grade and get "rubber wood" most of the high end mdf trim suppliers should have it. i get it through www.vintagemouldings.ca
    fire up the saw and make some dust