+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to install recessed lights in plater cieling.

Hello I just recently bought a home and its all plaster walls and cieling. The living room does not have any lights I would like to install recessed lights. Doing some research I know I have to use a hole saw but how do I get through the beams? A long drill bit? Its at the bottom floor of a 2 floor house no way to get acc. from the room upstairs Also The house does not have updated electrical and there is no ground off of the outlet I want to feed the lights from. Im looking for some input here and some advice on tools I Need just in case I dont already have them. Thanks Joe
    Last edited by whjs416; 10-20-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Default Re: Want to install recessed lights in plater cieling.

Its definitely possible but i dont like pulling off of existing old wiring because they are mosy likely overloaded circuits to begin with. The typical method is to cut your ceiling hold then a smaller hole near the closest wall to bring the wire down the wall and holes other places as you fish the wire arouns the room. Typical places for running wire are dredging a small line put of the wall deep enough to lay the existing wire or hising wire along or under trim, corners, crown molding etc.

A Greenlee D'Versibit is a handy tool:

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-DBITK.../dp/B000FBEUVY

It's a looooong (4-5 foot), flexible shaft drill bit that can drill through several joists at a time and fish the wire back through. It can also be run through an outlet box hole to drill through a ceiling or floor plate.

The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

A Greenlee D'Versibit is a handy tool:

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-DBITK.../dp/B000FBEUVY

It's a looooong (4-5 foot), flexible shaft drill bit that can drill through several joists at a time and fish the wire back through. It can also be run through an outlet box hole to drill through a ceiling or floor plate.

The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.