+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Baking Soda and Extreme Humidity

I tried to duplicate the conditions again. Multiple showers later, no leakage, no pooling water. And this was with the baking soda. So, going with the previous conversations, the only remaining possibility is a leaky shut off valve (which is no longer leaking). I am now surmising that when I shut off the valve then reopened it, it was no longer in a position to actively leak.

Default Re: Baking Soda and Extreme Humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyea View Post
    I am now surmising that when I shut off the valve then reopened it, it was no longer in a position to actively leak.
    Very common. This is why you never want to turn a valve fully on against the stop, it will distort the seal so that when the valve stem moves it's going to leak no matter what.

The most recommended "on" position is full out, then back off 1/4 - 1/2 a turn so that the seal is only against the valve stem. This way, if a leak occurs, you can twist the valve open or closed slightly and usually stop the leak. If that doesn't do it, then you can tighten the stem nut slightly and that will usually take care of any leakage.

Let's hope that your endeavors have cured the problem, even if you never really zeroed in on the exact issue.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!