+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Ripples in ceiling and popcorn to boot

What causes the ripples in the ceiling and how can I fix it? I have a few things going on. I hate the ripples in the ceiling when the light hits it just right you can see every piece of drywall and the I hate the popcorn. I'd like to remove the popcorn and repair the ripples. Can this be done or does the whole ceiling need to be replaced. I have removed the popcorn in our bedroom and retextured and it looks great. I have no problem doing that but don't want to go through the process if the ripples are just going to get worse. We've talked about pulling down the current ceiling and replacing, but we just put the blown in insulation in the attic and it would be a horrible mess. We also talked about going over it with more drywall but thought that if we add-on to the house later that we would have to put two pieces of drywall to the new area too so that they will match, or if the old ceiling that's under the new ceiling continues to sag it will eventually mess up the new ceiling too....just looking for suggestions and advice. I want to do the right thing but also don't want to do more work than is truly needed. I tried to attach a pic but for some reason couldn't. Thanks!

Default Re: Ripples in ceiling and popcorn to boot

Very few drywall jobs can stand having a highly directional lighting placed close to the ceiling. The fact that you say your bedrooms ceiling, which you fixed, looks good, makes me think that your ceilings would be OK if the lighting were changed to some kind of down light cannisters, or at a minimum, are shielded fixtures which do not let light travel laterally across the ceiling.

In my last house, I had a guest closet light that was mounted close to the ceiling. Whenever I would turn that light on, there was a very noticeable bulge in the living room ceiling which absolutely did not show under normal light. A surface mounted cannister light solved that problem.

As to the ripples: drywall will at a minimum have high ridges along the butted ends. But if you see every panel, you probably have joists on too wide a span and/or too thin a drywall for that span. Ceilings normally use at least 5/8ths inch drywall, not the 1/2 inch used on walls.

Are you seeing the ripples at the 4 foot width of the panels, or on two foot widths? If it is on two foot widths, I would suspect that you have rafters on 2 foot centers and they used 1/2 drywall, instead of 5/8ths.