+ Reply to Thread

Default Insurance question

We were hit by the June 1st tornado in Western Massachusetts. Some of the windows were blown out, some were broken, and some failed at the connection between the window frames and the surrounding walls. This led to the inability to raise or lower the windows or to lock them. They didn't seal tight. The insurance company is questioning the replacement of these windows. My question is how do I address this issue with the company?

Default Re: Insurance question

tell them exactly what your telling us and send them pictures
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Your policy covers described property (house) from direct damage caused by a peril (fire, explosion, etc.) and not otherwise excluded (like earthquake, flood, wear & tear).

Tell them what property was damaged, how damaged and look at the policy exclusions section. It looks like force of wind damaged wood frames, resulting in inability to close windows. You should tell the story that frames were damaged; they see windows unable to close as wear & tear or inherent vice so definitely ask them to inspect rather than a desk assessment. Mass. probably has some laws requiring reasons for denying coverage and some assistance from the insurance dept (although in this age, government helping consumers are getting rare).

Did the insurance company send an adjuster?

The company sent an adjuster who took pictures of the rot around the windows. We are not denying that there was wood rot. But we are stating that the windows were inoperable and the frames were damaged after the tornado and therefore needed to be replaced. In the process of replacing them, the wood also needed to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by KCHeler View Post
    The company sent an adjuster who took pictures of the rot around the windows. We are not denying that there was wood rot. But we are stating that the windows were inoperable and the frames were damaged after the tornado and therefore needed to be replaced. In the process of replacing them, the wood also needed to be replaced.
    Ahhh -- me thinks the insurance company has determined the structural integrity of the windows was compromised by the pre-existing rot. In other words , there stand is the windows may not suffered any damage from the storm if there was no pre-existing rot to the wood frames.
    In my experience the best you can hope for is a settlement for a depreciated value of those rotted windows --- how much is hard to say --- anywhere from 35 - 50 % of a new replacement. Afterall , you really can't expect a brand new replacement window for one that was rotted --- if they offer you 35-50% that's not bad for a rooted window.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I knew your insurance company sent an adjuster, and based their decision on his findings.

At best, an insurance company will put you at a similar position you were before the tornado. They will almost never improve your position. What does it mean? it means that if they will authorize new windows, they will give you the depreciated value of such windows, as canuk said. You will have to come up with the balance. But at the end you will have new windows, properly installed, and your position will be better than before.

Talk to your adjuster or the insurance co. rep, and see what they can offer you. I would be extremely patient, polite, humble but professional with them.

sprucey does have a very good point about the rot. if the windows were fairly new and werent able to close then youd have a case.. but where their rotting they are in a condition of already needing repair, which has been neglected... good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    sprucey does have a very good point about the rot. if the windows were fairly new and werent able to close then youd have a case.. but where their rotting they are in a condition of already needing repair, which has been neglected... good luck...
    Did you want to say canuk?

yah yah yah... dale i mean. some of us on here converse outside the boards..