+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Tongue and Groove to tight on new flooring

Hi, I have quater-sawn white oak flooring that is so tight that my installer says he can't install it. He measured the moisture content of the wood and it was 7% which he said is ok. I bought this flooring from a wood shop in Ohio. The owner told me when it left his shop it was fine and that he had a sample of my flooring that he kept. He made the tongue 244 thousands of an inch. The groove is 254 thousands of an inch with the wood above and below 248 thousands of an inch. The total is 750 thousands which is 3/4 of an inch thick. Ten thousands difference doesn't seem like much. Does anyone know what is the industry standard? The boards are 3 inches wide. Ninety percent of the boards are between 14-16 feet long. I tried using a router table with a 1/4 inch bit to run widen the groove but the boards where to long to handle. Next, I set up two utility tables lengthwise and place the flooring on it and used a router on the groove. This worked good enough that my installer got one room done. I put a dehumidifier in the room where the wood is being stored to see if that would help. I'm going to put the heat tonight. I was wondering about using wax. Before I do the rest of the wood with a router, I was wondering if someone had a better idea?
    Last edited by arturosambuca; 10-21-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fix errors