+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood Filler Used To Cover Flaky Paint Under 5 Layers With 2 Layers Under Wood Filler

I have NEVER in my life seen anything so assinine as how this was used to avoid scraping and painating.I have 7 layers of paint to strip off of maple window sills, window frames, doors, molding around doors and floor molding. Under 5 layers of the paint, is a layer of wood filler, which is on top of 2 more layers. I am assuming when putting on the 3rd layer of paint, the worker used wood filler to cover the flakes in the bottom 2 layers, instead of scraping and removing the old paint. I have called every contractor and individually owned paint stores I know for ideas and advice. Currently, I am using a regular sander, a finishing sander, stripper gel, acetone, fabric softener, a putty knife along with a razor blade sc****r.In 4 days of 8 to 9 hours work a day, I have one whole window sill and frame almost done, 1 halfway done, 1 1/4 of the way done, and one I'm just starting on. I use all these tools in a pattern. If you know of anything that can help me speed this process up, I'll kiss the sky.

Default Re: Wood Filler Used To Cover Flaky Paint Under 5 Layers With 2 Layers Under Wood Fil

Silent Paint Stripper or heat gun, for starters.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: Wood Filler Used To Cover Flaky Paint Under 5 Layers With 2 Layers Under Wood Fil

You might consider trying an electric heat gun. Stripping with heat actually works better when there are thick layers of paint than when only a thin layer exists. I assume that you are intending to re-paint the woodwork, so minor scorching would not be a problem. Electric torchs are somewhat slow, but propane torches are far too dangerous inside a house. Even if you don't get the surface totally clean, you would get it clean enough so that a thin coat of stripper would take the rest.

There are also radiant electric strippers on the market, but these are pretty pricey - about $400.

TOH has used a relatively new type of stripper on the exterior of some of their projects. It is non-toxic and will not give you a chemical burn. It is applied to siding and left to sit overnight. The residue justs pops off with a sc****r the next day. It was applied with an airless sprayer and the operator did not even have to wear protective gear. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the material and I don't know if it is suitable for interior use, although I think it should be.

Thumbs down Re: Wood Filler Used To Cover Flaky Paint Under 5 Layers With 2 Layers Under Wood Fil

Thank you so very much, but the proverbial "BUT":
    <p>Before I invested in a heat gun I heated an iron to its hottest setting, and placed a wallpaper scrap which I'm also removing on a test area and acheived the same gooey mess and the same acetone clean up. I did get in touch with yet another contractor friend of mine this afternoon, who said he would do that same thing in a heartbeat instead of scraping the old pain layers off. This kind of remodeling work doesn't pay. I guarantee anyone if I took a job like this on I would charge 50 bucks an hour, in OK, where I am. On the left and east coasts, plus Florida, I'd charge 100 bucks an hour. This is insane.

I've done all kinds of construction work and remodeling, but I know now I've NOT seen it all.

I don't know how to use this place, OBVIOUSLY! I didn't see your whole reply. I'll check that out, thank you!

OK, first reply was to first guy, and I only just now must have gotten the second reply from second guy, got confused and thought I didn't see whole first guys response! I'm getting it. I only have another 2 weeks for this room, but the rest of the house was also done the same way, so I need to find out and order some of that whatever you hear of from the TOH crew.

Thank you SO much.

Does a brand name RemovAll ring a bell ordjen?

Oh, I'm not repainting the wood, I believe it's maple or maybe hemlock and it's gorgeous. I'm shellacing it. Then the walls are going to mauve with a darker mauve faux glaze. Spanish adobe style.