+ Reply to Thread

Default Smell in house we can't find or get rid of

For ten years we have spent thousands of dollars on inspectors, contractors and plumbers trying to get a very strong sewer smell out of our house after a remodel. It comes and goes in different parts of the back of the house at different times, mostly starting in a hall and master bath. It also seems to know when a guest is coming (the smell shows up) or a plumber is coming (it is gone). We have had cameras down pipes, h/a vents vacuumed, washer/dryer removed, and pipes removed and rerouted. It still shows up. This can't be healthy for us -- the smell is so strong at times it gives us a headache! We have tried everything short of tearing the back of the house down. We're out of options. We live in Sacramento, CA
    Help!

The remodel was a 600 sf addition at the back of the house: new kitchen, master bath, family room and master bedroom.
    Last edited by sgeorge@stefangeorge.com; 10-21-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Question from member

Default Re: Smell in house we can't find or get rid of

"very strong sewer smell out of our house after a remodel"

What exactly was the remodel?

It's old hat but a smoke test would show were the sewer gas is coming from.

John

I'd be interested in hearing what might cause this as I've seen a few other remodeled old homes that have similar come and go smells.

If it is a sulfur smell rather than sewer smell, it could be caused by Chinese drywall.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If it is a sulfur smell rather than sewer smell, it could be caused by Chinese drywall.

Jack
    Is Chinese drywall labeled "made in china"?

All the drywall sold near me is made in USA. I haven't seen any Chinese drywall all those years, before the settlement and after the settlement.

I just returned from China, and wherever I went I saw plaster only.

Thanks for the advice. We know the drywall is not Chinese. The one thing we haven't tried is a smoke test. That will be our next step.